Cancelling DRL on Impala 2003

Page 4 of 5
wrote: | | >Plus, how do they know which vehicle is set up | >with DRLs and which ones aren't | | VIN? It's a thought. | | Rick |
You're probably right...it has all the other options tied to the VIN (anti-lock
brakes, anti-theft, etc). You may have hit on the answer. Although that wouldn't cover the dealer-defined option, would it (where the dealer sets the DRL mode per the customers request)?
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:27:07 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Good point. Given that, I'd bet they use the VIN and figure they've gotten as close as they can.
Then again, who knows?
Rick
you will not fine that information in the VIN#. The VIN list only country of manufacture, manufacture, body style, restraint type, engine and build sequence number.
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

It has a helluva lot more then that. If you give a dealer your VIN number they can tell you the options the car came with, what color it is and other things.

Nope. Mike is correct. However, the VIN can be used as a tool to get more information.
If you give a dealer your VIN number

True, but the dealer doesn't get that info from the VIN, rather, he uses the VIN to get that info. H

That's what I was trying to get at but it came out the wrong way.
Maybe you're both right in a way. For example, let's say the color isn't encoded in the VIN. The plant and build serial number are in the VIN though. It stands to reason that the plant would know what options, color and other stuff went into which serial number ranges. All they need do is have a database accessible to the dealer or whoever or publish it in a look up book. Simple.
In short, one piece of information can beget another sometimes.
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:37:22 -0600, "Phillip Schmid"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Read my other posts. You can take your VIN to your dealer and they can print a build sheet that lists ALL options installed on the vehicle when it was built. I imagine the manufacturers have made this system available to insurance companies for the purpose of writing policies. I have a build sheet for my S-10 that I got recently. My dad has one for his yet-to-be-delivered Dodge Ram, that sheet even includes that his truck was a special order, that the order had to be re-sequenced (there was a problem with the vehicle when it made it to Newark, DE) and another item dealing with the re-order. This list of options can also be deciphered from the list of 3-character codes on a white or yellow label in the glovebox or on the inside of the trunk lid. You just need a book to decode it, usually a GM service manual will have info like that.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 05:03:44 GMT, foolspicedham_melbo snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (SgtSilicon) wrote:

When I've given the VIN# to my Insurance company the past couple of years to cover two new cars, they came back with a list of all the options on the car and asked me to confirm. So apparently that are now tying all that information to the VIN # these days since they knew what the car had on it before I even told them!
> [...]

They would also already know what cars you drive and have had insured, straight from your state's DMV computer files...
I know mine does.
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
On 26 Feb 2004 23:22:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comroryg (munir) wrote:

In NY the vehicle doesn't get registered to you until you insure it, so the Ins. company knows before DMV does. When you go to register a vehicle you have to show proof of insurance in order to get plates. When you want to remove insurance from a vehicle, unless you're changing ins. companies, you need to show proof that you turned in the plates before you get comprehensive taken off the vehicle.
Yes, the vehicle info is tied to the VIN. I imagine the car makers have web sites that they can open to insurance companies, agents and the DMV in order to provide lists of options on vehicles.

We have similar in MN, but you only need a Ins Co name and Pol. # on the application, you needn't actually show the card from the Ins Co. Lotsa room for errors and bogus info there.
Have had mine actually checked only once, but read that the MN DVS will be doing random Ins checks, mostly on DWI repeat offenders, etc...
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
From the NHTSA site;
Vehicle Identification Number, VIN, is located on the top of the dashboard on the drivers side and visible through the windshield.. The Vin # includes: country of manufacture, name of manufacture, make, model, body style, restraint type, engine type, a check digit, year of manufacture, and build sequence number.. A sticker containing the paint code, interior code, vehicle color, axle type and build date, is located on a door post, usually by the drivers door.
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Understood, but it is somehow tied to some type of database of other information. My example is real. The insurance company knew as much about my last two cars as I did just from the VIN # ...and found that information darn near immediately.
> [...]
Of course insurance company's know what equipment is on any particular model, they have manufactures computerized part lists so they can estimate and repair damaged vehicles.
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

They knew specific options not tied to the model...somehow.
| > | From the NHTSA site; | > | | > | Vehicle Identification Number, VIN, is located on the top of the | > | dashboard on the drivers side and visible through the | > | windshield.. The Vin # includes: country of manufacture, name of | > | manufacture, make, model, body style, restraint type, engine | > | type, a check digit, year of manufacture, and build sequence | > | number.. A sticker containing the paint code, interior code, | > | vehicle color, axle type and build date, is located on a door | > | post, usually by the drivers door. | > | | > | | > | mike hunt | > |
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:40:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Yes, you can get only that info from the VIN without using a computer. Using a computer, entering the VIN will allow you to get a list of factory-installed options for the vehicle. This list is called a build sheet and can be obtained from the dealer service department for many late-model vehicles.

Besides, DRL's make sense, especially when some soccer mom is bearing down on you in a Suburban while yapping on her cell phone. They might be the only thing that stop her from creaming you and putting a loved one into the hospital or the ground (worse).
I know you Yanks are incredibly anal about mandatory things like seatbelts, and safety, and distrustful of anything labelled "for your own good", but some things actually do save lives, such as being visible.
Matt wrote:

Yes, up until 25 years ago, we Yanks had been moderately successful in keeping that insidious disease (soccer) mostly under control and out of here. Unfortunately, it has now spread and has destroyed the purity and essence of our precious bodily fluids. ( ! )
---Bob Gross---
However, tests conducted by the Engineering Departments of two Universities, for the State of Pennsylvania when they were considering the use of DRL's, indicated that DRL's was NOT one of them. Engineering studies indicated the opposite to be true, that DRL's would lead to MORE accidents in certain driving conditions, rather than fewer.. One can search the archives of the Pa State Senate, or those of Penn State and Lehigh Universities, for the reports on the dangers of DRL's for anybody wanting to catch up on CURRENT science in the field. Similar findings were presented to the US Congress when the US Senate turned down GM's request to make DRL's mandatory in the USA. The reports are available in the 'Congressional Record,' as well, for those wishing verification. ;)
mike hunt