Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers...

Page 1 of 8
Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers when gas prices creep up to $3 a gallon....tee hee hheeeee heeee haaaa haaaaaa! Sorry....blllrrrpp...heee hee haaa!

Those of us who own real utility vehicles own them for their safety and ability to move large things, including more people than you can stuff into a Geo Metro. We don't really care what kind of mileage they get. If we did, we wouldn't own them. Given that the average Suburban will last 2 or 3 times as long as a subcompact, and cost substantially less to maintain and repair over its life, the cost is just about even per mile, even at $3/gal.
A few examples: 100,000 miles on a set of brakes, then just replace the pads. Try that with a Cavalier. $30 for a water pump and 45 minutes to install it. Or, $900 on a Cavalier 80,000 miles on a set of tires. 20 minutes to change 8 spark plugs. Several hours and much lost blood on the average minivan to change 6. 250,000 mile engine life if the oil is changed religiously. Yeah, I know there's someone out there with 300,000 miles on their Honda, but MOST of them don't last that long. Pretty much ALL truck engines last much longer than little car engines.
Given the amount energy consumed of pollution produced in the PRODUCTION of a new vehicle, the SUVs don't actually pollute much more than compacts because they last twice as long.
I will personally continue to drive my 12-year-old Suburban, even at over $3 a gallon, with a smile on my face, which you won't be able to see because your rear-view mirror shows only my bumper.
Oh, and before you start the middle-east oil dependency lecture, my 2002 Tahoe burns E-85 (thats 85% Ethanol), so it runs on American corn and only burns gasoline at the equivalent of 126 MPG.
Hope you don't get crushed by a real vehicle.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How many gallons of Diesel fuel did it take to produce that gallon of corn liquor?
How many politicians did Archer Daniels Midland bribe to get the ethanol subsidies needed to make he cost of that corn liquor competitive?
In reply to the how many gallons of diesel fuel it takes to produce a gallon of ethanol. I am not sure how many gallons they can get from a bushel of corn, but on my farm, I raise about 195 bushel average per acre and burn 4 gallons of diesel per acre to get it. I am sure they get several gallons per bushel, so when you look at it there is no comparison. 4 gallons diesel several hundred ethanol.
wrote:

-

You're right, there is no comparison. From the Oregon department of Energy:
The cost of producing ethanol varies with the cost of the feedstock used and the scale of production. Approximately 85 percent of ethanol production capacity in the United States relies on corn feedstock. The cost of producing ethanol from corn is estimated to be about $1.10 per gallon. Although there is currently no commercial production of ethanol from cellulosic feedstocks such as agricultural wastes, grasses and wood, the estimated production cost using these feedstocks is $1.15 to $1.43 per gallon.
Because a gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of gasoline, the production cost of ethanol must be multiplied by a factor of 1.5 to make an energy-cost comparison with gasoline. This means that if ethanol costs $1.10 per gallon to produce, then the effective cost per gallon to equal the energy contained in a gallon of gasoline is $1.65. In contrast, the current wholesale price of gasoline is about 90 cents per gallon.
The federal motor fuel excise tax on gasohol, a blended fuel of 10-percent ethanol and 90-percent gasoline, is 5.4 cents less per gallon than the tax on straight gasoline. In other words, the federal subsidy is 54 cents per gallon of ethanol when the ethanol is blended with gasoline. The subsidy makes ethanol-blended fuel competitive in the marketplace and stimulates the growth of an ethanol production and distribution infrastructure.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:56:01 GMT, aarcuda69062

Anyone have any specs on bio diesel production to fuel consumed producing it, or how the Professor that was turning pig sh*t into crude is doing?

So at $3 a gallon, the E85 alternative will make sense! I say bring on the $3 a gallon... However, I think even OPEC realizes that there are certain price points where alternatives enter the picture. They will do their best to keep gas below $3 a gallon.

1) Extremely few of the people who drive large SUV's actually NEED the power, and the statistics that support the safety issue completely offset the "roll-over" issue with SUV's that kill and injure arguably as many people.
2) You HAVE to be joking about the Suburban being low maintenance!!? Look at a "Consumer Reports Buyers Guide". There are more black marks in every catagory than almost every other vehicle in the guide.
3) Where are you getting the info on a Suburban lasting "2-3 times longer than a subcompact"? Considering what crap the Suburban is, and how many different makers of subcompacts there are, this is obviously a statement mede out of bias for your Suburban.
4) Good God! You're making the comparison to a CAVALIER!!?? That's an even BIGGER piece of s#%& than the Suburban. (not to mention the fact that it's not a "sub-compact") I dare you to make that comparison to a Toyota Corolla!
5) Your "pollution" argument is too stupid to address.
6) You're actually going to compare the longevity of a a Suburban to a Honda!!? Pleeeaasse!!! Again, this argument is too f%$^ing stupid to address.

or
and
[Snippage: highlights remain]

at
Corolla!
The original post was a masterpiece of entertainment. Purely bizarre or perfect satire! The OP has either never owned anything but GM products or is pulling our legs. (Note that this was crossposted to alt.autos.gm).
-John
I apologize to everyone for the cross-posting. I hate it when people do that...
That being said, I sincerely hope it (Suburban guy) was satire...
THAT being said, I, do not align myself with the original poster's (the "blllrrrpp" guy's) views.

the average BMW or Mercedes with proper maintainance will outlast most any Japanese import (honda, toyota, whatever...). And if this is the only point of reference, I have seen hundreds of Land Rovers that make it into the 300k range before needing much major work. That being said its also pretty common, at least out here in Utah, to see Suburbans in the 200k mile range. Maybe beat a bit, but still running strong. The import agrument is a lost cause, its irrelevant, get over it....

Not the BMWs and Mercedes that have been coming out lately. They are really bad. Most Japanese will outlast anything out there. My dad still drives his 20 year old Toyota.

No need to apologize, we make allowances for "you people". I've paid a lot more than $3.00 a gallon for gas already and when the 40 gallon tank on my Suburban needs filling, I fill it. Frequently, I will fil bot my Suburban and my dughter's Suburban at the same time (when we travel together).
People like you will gladly pay $6.00 for a 12 oz cup of coffee or $3.00 for a pint bottle of water but bitch when you pay a couple of bucks for a GALLON of gasoline. Ten years from now, I'll still be driving my SUV when your little puddle jumper is being parted out (it's great to not make car payments for years, & that buys a lot of gas).

Dont know about car payments I have always paid cash for my vehicles. Dont buy bottle water either I filter mine. Also nevr pay more that$1.69 for a cup of coffee. I also dont like feeling the pockets of the big oil companies now that there is less competition because of so many oil companies merging. Dont own a puddle jumper just a V6 that gets over 20 miles per gallon and a Harley that gets over 40 miles per gallon.
"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message

A Harley? Isn't that the SUV of motorcycles???? Oversized and underpowered? Poor braking and handling?
Brian

tank
my
$3.00
oil
20
Only those whon cant ride or afford them say that.

"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message

Just like the weanies that can't afford SUVs.
Harleys are dinosaurs on wheels. For the engine size and fuel consumption they deliver the least power of anything with two wheels. The basic design is 100 years old. I know, I own one. And your old Sportster hardly counts as a Harley. You shouldn't have come in here talking about motorcycles.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

You own one?....Why?...or do you really own one? Obviously that old classic design is what people like since HD has no problem selling even over MSRP. By the way Sportsers run rings around the big twin harley when it comes to speed and handling, so yeh it counts as a MC.

I see you own an old sportster too.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

is
even
Yeh, the women like them.