Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers...

Page 4 of 8

that$1.69
oil
20
I can understand your cultural thinking on aquiring money....but some of us work honestly for a living to aquire money to buy things with cash. It can be done.
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:08:32 -0500, "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote:

'Up' to $3? That would be less than half what we pay here in the UK, while still grinning in our SUVs!

I doubt that folks that can afford high end SUVs are concerned about the price of fuel they need to run them. Those less fortunate may just have to pay more to use the vehicle they need for their use. My one daughter who has four children put it very well when she said I either take the V8 Tahoe where we all need to go or I have to take the Focus AND the Audi. The two 4cy cars together will use more gas ;)
mike hunt
Rooney wrote:

Some people who think of themselves as being responsible simply for owning a fuel-efficient compact car like a Sentra are fooling themselves and taking advantage of the efficiency and putting on more miles. In the end, one's "gallons per year" is more significant with respect to foreign oil dependency and pollution than the efficiency of one's vehicle.

Do you have statistics that back up that claim. I'm not sure I'm buying it.
What good is it to ride in a small, car to save a few hundred dollar on fuel annually, only to increase ones chance of being killed in a collision that you could have survived if you were riding in a larger, much safer, vehicle?
mike hunt
diaphone wrote:

SUV's not intended to ever see off road are just considered, 'courage in a box on wheels' in my opinion. They are only safer if the driver drives safely and is totally aware of all the dipsticks out on the road. You got sportscars trying to cut off SUV's because they perceive the SUV's to be going too slow for their liking. You got yuppy SUV owners trying to play chicken with everything and everyone with no regard to what is upcoming, or the weather conditions. The yuppy SUV owner's (not all of them do this, however) general mindset is, "oh, it's got 4 wheel drive and nobody is gonna mess with my vehicle because they will sustain all of the damage and my vehicle costs more!" So, it's given them the courage to drive like flipping maniacs on the road. Offroad enthusiasts with the same vehicle is going to drive much safer because they generally understand the rules of courtesy that they learned while out on trails and sand dunes AND they generally can gauge how much they need to adjust for road conditions. The offroad enthusiasts generally tend to have a heightened awareness for what's up ahead and off to both sides and rear of the vehicle at all times. Every veteran offroad enthusiast has seen even the smallest of error happen on a trail or sand dune that caused a vehicle to roll or even go off a trail and get into some trouble.
A great example is my ex husband. He bought a Jeep Liberty (it was his newly divorced/midlife crisis purchase) and was quite proud of himself for buying it. I laughed at him when I saw it and told him "you will roll that thing in under 6 months time". A month after making that statement - over 12 grand in damage to the Liberty, he rolled it when he was rear ended by another vehicle - he lost control of it and the fire department had to cut him out. A Toyota Camry hit him.

If "bigger is better" then perhaps we should all be driving 18-wheelers ??
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:20:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

<rj>

Wouldn't fit in my garage. H
You may have a point annually 43,000 people are killed in motor vehicle accident in the US, less than 7% are big rig drivers. ;)
mike hunt
"" wrote:

That's what happened in the 1970's. People that could afford to drive the large "gas guzzlers" no longer could. So most of those big cars were kept in the driveway. And one couldn't sell them either since no one wanted them.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:27:36 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

That's when my buddy got his V12 E-Type. It was his smartest purchase ever.
Not factual my friend. Back then it was not a question of the price of fuel. The problem then was federal government regulation that led to shortages that limited the amount of available fuel. President Reagan scraped the regulations and allowed the market to determine supply and demand. Adjusted for inflation gasoline cost LESS than it did in 1960 in any event.
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Says it all. And driving through London on a Friday/Saturday night one wonders why all the people driving gas guzzlers don't get out of them into efficient SUV's Though I suppose if one can afford a Roller or Aston Martin, fuel ceases to become an issue.
Well that is like pissing in a fan.
--
HarryS My 2
"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message
Never heard that one before HarryS ... "like pissing into a fan" ... good one! What's with these bozo's that don't see the big picture? Oh yeah ... I remember ... the word is troll.

$3

Harry is right...its like pissing away your money while still getting pissed on.

Essb wrote:

If you say so, it must be true!
Another of my sayings is" Do not let your alligator mouth over load your humming bird ass, but some times it is easier just to say troll.
--
HarryS My 2
"bowgus" < snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com> wrote in message
Actually the technical term is "troll". <g> But I do like yours!
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 05:31:24 -0500, "HarryS"