Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers...

Page 6 of 8
Lets say you're on a lifeboat. How do you divide up the available water ? Should the richest guy be able to buy it all ?
Applied to "oil",
the guy who's getting ten mpg is using his share, PLUS the share of two other 30mpg drivers.
Legal ? YES in a capitalist society
Proper, or socially acceptible ?? You decide.
Maybe the fair solution is RATION BOOKS, where every car owner gets stamps for 10 gallons/week. He can use 'em or sell'em to SUV owners..... ???

<rj>

Ration books are a WWII relic. Didn't work too good then, would work even less well now. We'll move beyond oil before we run out of it, the fear mongering is what's pushing oil to the heights it's at now. I believe that the best solution would be a "manhattan project" approach to getting a Fusion reactor working and finishing the Fuel Cell problems.
Bad analogy one "needs" water to live, one does not necessarily need oil to survive. In any event there are place on earth earth the are indeed short to the fresh water they need to live. We are far from running out of oil anytime soon.
mike hunt
"" wrote:

I read somewhere that there is over 100 years of known oil reserves today. Is that true?

I've heard the same figure but have never seen such a report in print. I'm attaching a link to a detailed report, dated January 2005, on U.S. energy statistics, which you may find informative:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/usa.html

A different opinion comes from here: http://www.answers.com/topic/athabasca-tar-sands
While not a proven oil reserve, it is estimated that the Athabasca Tar Sands field contains as much as one third of the world's total oil deposits, with a similiar amount in the Venezuelan Orinoco tar sands field. Current production at the Athabasca site yields 120,000 barrels of oil per day with an increase to 280,000 by 2010 at a cost of $4,000,000,000 expected. Athabasca oil production is currently just a fraction of the 82,000,000 barrels of oil produced daily around the world.
According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, the Athabasca tar sands is the largest oil deposit in the world, with an estimated 1.6 trillion barrels (254 km) of oil, of which at most 315 billion barrels are considered recoverable by the oil companies given current technology. Syncrude (http://www.syncrude.com/who_we_are/01_06.html ), one of the oil companies involved in mining the tar sands, states that the entire tar sand deposit is twice the size of Lake Ontario. It is estimated the Venezuelan Orinoco tar sands deposit is slightly larger than Athabasca (see tar sands article).

I've posted this response twice already, but for some reason, it doesn't appear in my browser. My apologies if it triple posts!
There are some further interesting stats on this link:
Table 1
Members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), which controls production to elevate profit margins, account for 79 percent of global proved reserves.
See this link for further info: http://www.azgs.state.az.us/Winter2001.htm

yup coming up fine here
That's the easy stuff to get to, there is another hundred years of the more expensive stuff to get to. ;)
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

$3
Yeh...right... thats why you drive them at 80 miles an hour 3 inches off of someones bumber like a bunch of crazy maniacs, why feeling safe in a 5000 lb cage, yet endangering other people lives.

Essb wrote:

There's that festering inferiority complex again. ;-)

Yes, a fear for one's life because of other peoples irresponsible driving habits is a clear link to an "inferiority complex". Do you even read your posts before you hit the "send" button??
Kerouac wrote:

Better get that paranoia checked out. Is it a constant fear? Or does it come and go? Did you read your post before you hit the "send" button? You really are coming across as a paranoid schizophnic.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:06:04 -0500, "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote:

If you're doing 80 MPH you'd better be in the middle or fast lane. And if you're in the Middle or fast lane and someone's on your ass? PULL OVER

SUV's can be safe, though not quite as safe as a car of the same weight, Give me a Bentley any day.
My dads Carver Yacht had a 300 gallon gas tank so spending only $60 to fill a Lincoln Navigator was nothing compared to filling the boat !
One Carvert brochure boasted of one boat having a 1000 gallon tank and an optional 1200 gallon gas tank.
Marina's charge even more $$$ for gas than what a gas station charges.
000,006 - Feb 4,1991 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Essb wrote:

Classic symptoms of inferiority complex.;-)

If you have a clue about Freud, you would know that he would align the inferiority complex with the guy driving the big SUV. As in compensating for other...aah....shortcomings.
Kerouac wrote:

You seem to know a lot about shortcomings and inferiority complexes. Why is that? Heh, heh, heh!

It's called "college"......