Cant wait to see faces of SUV drivers...

Page 8 of 8

That's a HUGE bargain almost anywhere in California! Recent averages are over $600,000 in the bigger cities, with condos in the $300,000+ range. More than a few people think it's a real estate bubble that followed the stock bubble. Incomes aren't that much higher.
-John

at 275 usually needs another 50K of work.
It's possible to get a house under 100K.. Think Detroit, Buffalo, The Yukon, etc. Save your pennies, when the interest rates come up the house prices will drop back down (rather quickly) in every area. Think 1990-1993

I'm talking about southern Maine.. the average for new houses is just a tick under $275k, as long as you're more than a mile from the ocean. get within that mile and you're talking about $275k for a lot the size of a postage stamp with no house on it.
a house listed

not around here.

not that I'd want to live there.... I could have a house for free south of 9 mile in Ferndale... (Detroit) no way no how would I live there though.

the very last thing I want to think about would be the shithole economy of the early 90's. My credit still sucks because of 1994.
-Bret
So what? Its their money to do with as they please isn't it?
mike hunt
Kerouac wrote:

in article L%j%d.22825$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com, Kerouac at snipped-for-privacy@flash.net wrote on 3/20/05 11:18 AM:

I want to be able to take 2 kids and two dogs and a lovely wife and a bunch of camping/fishing/hunting/snowboarding/skiing/canoe/adventure gear to places that require a truck chassis... I need an SUV! My '95 Land Cruiser fits the bill. High quality, big, safe... bad gas mileage though. I have a 4-banger Volvo that gets us all around safely and gets good mileage for the OTHER stuff we do.
However. That misses the point. Gas-mileage nerds act like the scale goes from Prius on one end and Hummer on the other, and that being on the Prius end is somehow Good For The Planet. The scale goes like this: not driving a car to driving a car. And then over on the "driving a car" end of the scale, what kind of car you drive is this meaningless little subdivision within THAT. In 500 years when they are writing the history of this era, whether we burned up all the fossil fuels by 2065 (Hummers) or 2075 (Priuses) isn't gonna matter much in that final accounting of this era... we are burning it, burning it ALL, and damn the torpedos, that's just what we are gonna do, smart or not. That's humanity. It's depressing but true. We are the ultimate nest foulers.
A "Save the Planet" bumper sticker on a Prius ain't saving the planet... would that it were so simple!
-jeff
Good point, Jeff. There might be money to be made in this and other 4x4 NGs for selling Prius bumper stickers that read "Wastes the Planet Slower" or "5 Trips at 60 mpg Versus 1 Trip at 12 mpg..." One point is that let's burn the foreign oil first...

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:54:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Yup that's why the wife's van has been dented and scratched 5x this past year while my old-slow-bile is as clean and dent free as ever
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:08:32 -0500, "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote:

they can AFFORD TO???
if they want to burn less there's http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7148712 /
if not perhaps they might be interested in something like this: http://www.dancewithshadows.com/eliica-electric-car.asp
Earlier this year, at Italy's Nardo high-speed test track facility, the Eliica recorded a top speed of 370kmh. Shimizu says the car would break 400kmh on a smoother surface.
though it didn't list ranges and at over $300Kthat's a bit steep just to keep money from OPEC :(
"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message

It's people's habits that need to change and it's irresponsible to merely blame the vehicles. Take the following example, and it's happening all around us; A person makes 5 discretionary trips every week for groceries, laundry etc. Each is a 20 mile round trip from home but done at once it's a 30 mile loop. One person has a Honda that gets 30 mpg and the other has an SUV that gets 15 mpg. The one with the Honda makes one trip each day, travels a total of 100 miles and uses 3 1/3 gallons of fuel. The person with the SUV does all the errands in one trip, travels a total of 30 miles and uses 1 2/3 gallons of fuel. They have not only saved fuel and their own time but have reduced traffic congestion for 4 out of 5 days.
As far as the cost of fuel, anyone who can afford a $35,000.00+ SUV is not likely to have a stroke spending an extra $3.00 or $4.00 per week on fuel. If it's a concern they can save a little elsewhere like one less cup of coffee or a hamburger every week.
Bob Walker

Math isn't my best subject, but if a vehicle gets 15 mpg and is driven 30 miles, doesn't it use 2 gallons of fuel, not 1 2/3?
Obviously, using the Honda once a week would be the best scenario. One gallon of fuel. Essentially what I do. Use my Civic for short trips and save my Yukon for trips.
WW

to change it.
Bob W.
in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, WaterWatcher at snipped-for-privacy@donotmail.com wrote on 4/3/05 9:49 PM:

Yeah, the Volvo for the commute and daily runaround stuff at 30 mpg and the Jeep for fun in the woods and the big Land Cruiser for when I need to pack us ALL, and a bunch of gear, into cool places... except when it's time to take the top off the Jeep... then it might make a commute or three <g>!
It's not like it REALLY matters. We are gonna burn all the fossil fuels anyway. A little faster is not really relevant to the reality of the situation and is arguably BETTER.
-jeff