Caprice Trans Leak

My 85 Chevy Caprice has been leaking trans fluid pretty badly, but it has stopped now. After letting it drip for about 2 weeks, with a pan under it,
it has just about stopped. The cold, engine-not-running fluid level is about 1 inch above the "full hot" line on the stick. Does this give me a clue about what part of the trans is leaking? I checked the filler tube O ring and the pan gasket, and it's not them.
Thanks

it
under it,

about 1

If cold you are over the full mark, the transmission will puke out the vent tube on top. Charles

Why not just dry it off with a rag or brake cleaner after jacking it up? Then run it and look again. You could be leaking from a bad o-ring at the speedometer cable or where the shift lever enters. A front or read seal would be rather obvious. I don't think you really looked at it close enough. It's a box with some holes in it and one or more are leaking.