Car dealerships and hidden charges

Apparently there has been an issue with car dealerships adding hidden charges to inflate the standard DMV registration fees. There are a number of various charges that are suspected of inflating the various fees paid for
newly purchased or leased cars. If you check out http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dmv there is more information on this and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for those who suspect they might have been subject to this. I hope this may be of help to some.
kr0
Looks like the shark lawyers are looking for your help in earning them a few more million dollars.
The fact is, it is illegal in every state to charge MORE than the actual fees to register a vehicle, obtain a license plate, issue or transfer a title, record the title lien, etc., or to obtain any duplicate or replacement for any of the above. In most states it is also illegal to charge more than a specified amount, say $50 or $75, to complete the forms required by the government entity when purchasing a vehicle. If you suspect your were overcharged by a dealership, simply notice the DMV or it equivalent.
As to how much a dealership chooses to mark up a dealer install option, it a matter of buyer beware, not illegal. If you believe that $15 accent stripe on your Toyota is worth $195 because you believe Toyota uses better tape that is your dumb fault.
mike hunt
kr0 wrote:

LOL yeah I know how the tape stripe thing works, I used to do them for a little bit at the dealership I used to work at. Body Shop paid me $8 a car, marked that up to $40 and sold it to the sales department, and then the sales department marked it up to $100 and sold it to the customer.
PDX
Most dealer added pinstripes I see in Chicagoland are at least $185 to $225
PDX
Most dealer added pinstripes I see in Chicagoland are at least $185 to $225
Thats probably for painted, they were charging $100 for tape stripes.
PDX
NO NO No ---- that price I saw was for TAPE Stripes, not painted. Sunday I'll go look at cars again and see what they are charging now & double check that its a tape stripe.
And occasionally I'll see some that are peeling right off, Once I saw one car that somebody must of pulled off the whole strip on the quarter panel of a Caddy.
PDX
Naturally this weekend none of the cars I saw on the dealer lots had dealer added pinstripes.
A couple of Caddies I saw had the rip off "Gold Package" for $610.
That included a Gold hood ornament, plastic gold caddy crest around the trunk lock, plastic gold DeVille script on trunklid and a plastic gold Northstar V8 emblem and Gold snap fastners on a chrome strip on the bottom edge off the $2999 cloth top, also added at extra cost.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

If what your saying is true, you only have to go to Ebay to put a lot of people away. I have seen a lot of car auctions for a $150+ or so "document fee". This is on top of the bid price. If this is Truly illegal, why has Ebay NOT put a end to it?
Personally, i am tired of the legal system trying to class action the world. These lawyers should be locked up. This guy has been on more than one group with this.
Bob
-

Because:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html
"...As a result, we have no control over the quality, safety or legality of the items advertised..."

I'm not. In fact I'd like to see more of it. The recent convictions of the CEO's of Enron, MCI/Worldcom, etc. etc. is proof positive that the police departments have pretty much stopped investigating white collar crime until it becomes so obvious that they cannot ignore it any longer. For every one of those people locked up there's a hundred others who have gotten away with violations of the law, scott free. The class action lawsuits are about the only real deterrence to white collar corporate crime anymore.
Ted