Car Stalls While Driving

Firstly, can anyone recommend a good web forum for GM vehicles like Brick cars? I type in "general motors forum discussion" on a Yahoo search and get
nothing but a few forums with little to no activity. Very odd.
Anyway I'm about ready to take my car to the scrap heap but before I do, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
My 2000 Buick Park Avenue stalls while driving, but only when there is no acceleration for around 10 to 20 seconds. This essentially means that it will stall EVERYTIME I drive on any sort of hill/incline. So what I have to do is accelerate as much as I can, and in order to do that I have to break a lot. (Brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate, etc) It will not stall on a normal level road since I accelerate often enough. (This also means that no one at the shop can duplicate the problem since they aren't near hills).
Here are some more details:
-It will NOT stall when at idle (stopped).
-It will NOT stall when started or put in to gear.
-Lacks power; does not drive as fast...This problem started at the same time.
-Security light sometimes comes on.
-No codes
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Jeff
On a nine year old car I would suggest there could be any of several causes, within the processors control loop. The way to determine which, rather than asking advice of those in a NG who at best would be guessing, is to have your vehicle hook up to an analyzer to determine the actual cause.

I have. There are no codes and the mechanics don't know what is wrong.
says...

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:21:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@crap.com (Jeff) wrote:

Check this http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.gm/browse_thread/thread/c1f61d0c0b6d4d06?hl=en&q=resistor+group:alt.autos.gm
If you read it you'll see it was a bad resistor in the fuel pump circuit. Might be your problem. Might be. In this case my friend's mechanic had no clue, but the dealership solved it real quick.
--Vic
Jeff wrote:

Basic diagnosis is needed.
Jeff turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

I don't know the Park Ave - other than having driven one a few years back when my Maxima was in the body shop for three months having gotten slammed but somehow not totaled. However, I think it has the 3400 or the 3800 engine right?
Try the fuel injector?
I would suggest starting with some Sea Foam.
Also - look for GM Forums in Google...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f727 /

You sure there are no codes? That seems odd.

Wow, I didn't know anyone still used that. I cannot believe it is still not at 1.0 after - what? - ten years?

Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it. - Dee

3800, correct!

I did put a fuel injector cleaner in the tank. It was from Chevron and very highly recommended. It didn't help. But I'm leaning toward a fuel injection problem as well since the security light comes on.

I can never find this stuff, even tried on Ebay, couldn't find it. I'll look again though.

Nope, nothing.

It's the only newsreader that I like for posting to the usenet. :)
snipped-for-privacy@crap.com (Jeff) wrote in

He is using an outdated version and many people still use it as a newsreader.

For starters, what engine, 3800? Second, how many miles are on the car? When was the last regular maintenance done (spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter)? The problems you describe could be caused by any number of things. I would suggest telling the shop to take the vehicle to a hilly area, or using a different shop. Has the Check Engine, Check Gauges, or any other light came on, besides the Security light? And lastly, you say there aren't any codes, but anytime the Security light comes on it should store a code as to why it was triggered. Thing is (if memory is right), an OBDII scanner will not read Security codes.

Yes 3800. There's over 80,000 miles. I have not changed the sparks but they can't be the problem (correct me if I'm wrong) because the car will not stall at random moments...It will only stall when I'm not accelerating for a period. The SES light has not come on, my code reader gets no codes, and the shop gets no codes either.
Thanks,
Jeff
Does the check engine light come on when in prove out mode (if you turn the ignition to the start position while car is in gear)? The condition you describe sounds SOMEWHAT symptomatic of a faulty EGR valve, although that would likely store a code. It's possible it is the ECM itself, which would explain the lack of a code.
No light, no codes. I've taken it to a shop and they get nothing either. The ECM is fine as I was having an EVAP problem two years ago (which was fixed) and it came on for that.
Thanks,
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Hi!

Even when you turn the key on without starting the engine?
If you do that, the service engine light should come on and stay that way as a check. If it doesn't...there is a problem somewhere.

How sure are you that they can read codes stored in other subsystems? I think that needs to be answered first.

That was two years ago. Things change. :-)
William
Jeff wrote: "No light, no codes. I've taken it to a shop and they get nothing either. The ECM is fine as I was having an EVAP problem two years ago (which was fixed) and it came on for that..." ******************************************** I want to make sure we are on the same page, at the risk of sounding redundant. I know you get no check engine light. It may be because the bulb is burnt out. To determine that the bulb still works, with the engine off, put the gear selector in drive, and turn the key to the start position, which will turn all the indicator lights, and note whether the check engine light comes on. The other point I wished to make was that a computer which was screwed up enough to cause repeated engine malfunctions, could also be screwed up enough to fail to turn on the check engine light or display any codes.
The last time it was known to display codes was years ago.
Given the fact that you have repeated engine failure -- and you have had it happen THAT many times -- and never a code of any kind? I think it might be the ECM. They go bad, just like any other component. If possible, rob one off a junkyard car and see if that changes anything.
The only other thing I can think of that would make it die intermittently with no MIL or codes is loss of fuel pessure, either from the pump ready to go out or the regulator going bad. I can't remember if you said you have ever had the fuel press checked.
Given the driving conditions at the time the problem occurs, I still think it acts like an EGR valve -- and while the computer isn't giving you a code for that, it isn't giving you one for anything else, either -- although something is obviously wrong.
I just came across this web site with reports of a similar issue that I'm having. No one is getting codes either. Unfortunately no one has a clear cut answer either. Interesting that one person has the security light coming on.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2001/engine/stalls_while_driving .shtml
says...

maybe

will

Post and let us know what it turned out to be.
James Goforth turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

Sure!
It turned out to be red wine with a hint of cranberry.

Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it. - Dee