Car Washing

How often should car washing be done for preventive maintenance such as rustproofing etc? Besides of course when the car is dirty, that is.
Thanks R.

There is no set interval for washing a car. Wash it when you want to.
My owners manual states : The best way to preserve your vehicles finish is to keep it clean by washing it often with lukewarm or cold water. Use Liquid hands or dishwashing soaps.
Do not wash car in direct sunlight . Do not use strong soaps or chemicals. Don't use cleaning agents containing acids. Dry surface with clean dsofe chamois to avoid surface scratchs & water spots.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
I think dishwashing soap has been nixed as well.
| There is no set interval for washing a car. | Wash it when you want to. | | My owners manual states : The best way to preserve your vehicles finish | is to keep it clean by washing it often with lukewarm or cold water. Use | Liquid hands or dishwashing soaps. | | Do not wash car in direct sunlight . Do not use strong soaps or | chemicals. Don't use cleaning agents containing acids. Dry surface with | clean dsofe chamois to avoid surface scratchs & water spots. | | ========| Harryface | ========| | 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 | _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_ | | | | | | |
Yeah I think they dont want you washing with dish liquid. I say a person should at the very least wash and wax their car every spring once the salt is no longer on the roads. Especially the underside in all the nooks and crannies and the backsides of the wheel wells. Do everything you can to get the salt out.
says...

James C. Reeves wrote:

If it is basic(chemicaly) soap, like Chrystal White(the big yellow container one) or simmialr, it's good. Ivory also works because it's soap.
The antiseptic/antibacterial and types that have ammonia or other additives in them are to be avoided.
LAtely, it's been hard to find normal soap anymore. - all ultra or antibacterial or softens your hands...
Personally, I buy a soap that is designed specifically for washing cars and is clear coat safe and will not strip all of the protective wax off. Dishwashing soap will strip your car (which is fine if you plan to also rewax every time you wash). I use Maguire's but I'm sure there are other fine products. Oh yeah, I usually try to use soft water to wash and ALWAYS stay out of the sun. The stuff is not really expensive when you consider how far it goes. A little goes a long way (especially in soft water).
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:43:42 GMT, Joseph Oberlander

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
No offence Ralph, but doesn't any body read Owners Manual anymore? The car companies spend a lot of time, and charge bucks, for those manuals, but nobody seems to read them. I think it specifically states not to use dish soap.

Andy and Carol write:
"No offence Ralph, but doesn't any body read Owners Manual anymore? The car companies spend a lot of time, and charge bucks, for those manuals, but nobody seems to read them. I think it specifically states not to use dish soap."
No offense Andy and Carol, but the words dish soap do not appear in my inquiry.
Ralph