Car won't crank

I have a 1997 grand prix, it will not crank I put in a rebuilt starter but still no good.
How can I tell if the problem is linked to the anti theft resistor pellet key or not ?
I went back later and tried a spare key but no good, the key goes all the way forward to the start position, and all the the warning/info lights come on in the instrument cluster as normal, but it will not crank. I turned on the headlights to see if they dim while I try to start, but they stay on as normal. the battery has plenty of power. and I checked the connections of the battery cables both at the battery and at the engine. All are good.
Because of the anti theft system, I would not get any voltage at the Purple solenoid wire down by the starter anyway How is the best way to rule out a problem with the the anti theft system ?

Is the anti-theft light blinking? Is there an anti-theft code stored in the PCM? Is there voltage at the yellow wire at the neutral safety switch?

Mike, this happened to my son's '98 Grand Am and the problem was that the air-con compressor had seized and the pulley could not turn. Accordingly, the engine could not turn over. Check it out. Also check out anything that runs off the same belt, i.e. alternator, water pump, etc.
what about neutrol swith?
StingRay wrote:

the
Accordingly,
that

That would definitely make the lights dim and probably create some smoke....

*lol* Woody, it started to seize when the engine was running and my son said that it made a shrill squeeling noise. But once he shut off the car, the engine wouldn't even turn over the next time he tried starting it!
"Mike" wrote:

My advice, if its an automatic tranny, shift it into gear. Then shift it back into park. Some vehicles wont allow you to crank them up if they arent in park. Their switch mechanism(whatever its called) wont let you crank. I dont know if its an auto or manual. Just a thought.
"BadBow99S10" wrote: > [quote:fe84fb4f90="Mike"]I have a 1997 grand prix, it will not > crank > I put in a rebuilt starter but still no good........ > .......Because of the anti theft system, I would not get any > voltage at the Purple solenoid wire down by the starter > anyway How is the best way to rule out a problem with the > the anti theft system ?[/quote:fe84fb4f90] > My advice, if its an automatic tranny, shift it into gear. > Then shift it back into park. Some vehicles won't allow you to > crank them up if they aren't in park. Their switch > mechanism(whatever it's called) won't let you crank. I don't > know if it's an auto or manual. Just a thought.
Turn ignition on and take a piece of wire to connect on the solenoid terminal and battery + then if your car starts and keep running the anti theft system is ok.
I put a jumper wire to the solenoid and the engine cranks,but will not stay running when the wire is removed..
Also I noticed that when the key is turned to the "ON" position, the security light flashes. It never did that before.
I wonder if the contacts that read the resister pellet on the key are bad. Also I am trying to locate the "theft detterent relay" so I can check it out .
Thanks for any help
I found the problem. It is a broken wire on the lock cylinder, that reads the security ignition key.
I found an article on the internet, so here is the link to show what happened. http://www.sofasst.com/pass_key_fault_fix.htm
If you scroll down he has some pictures of the problem. Thanks to all for your help.