Carb problem on Olds 5L

I have an '85 with an Olds V8 5L, 4-barrel, automatic, 260,000 miles. It often sits for two to five days between uses.

engine warmed up.

-- one day it ran fine, the next (well, the next time I drove it), it was bad.

cleaner and sprayed down the carb and all linkages and made sure everything was working fine.

off. Once the choke plate opens, she settles down and runs fine (except for an occassional hesitation at stop signs, which it never had before, either).

weak until she warms up a bit, but then goes strong.

choke kicked off, at which time it settled down to a nice strong 22.

(and the choke is off), it's right on spec.

Wildepad wrote:

Maybe your choke pull-off went bad or you didn't hose it down well enough. You describe a classic case. It almost has to be.

closes with the first movement of the throttle cable and then opens when the engine warms up.

sometimes hard to keep her running.