carburetor

does anyone even know if its possible to put eight one barrel carbs on a 454.

Reply to
70chevelle1

How about eight of those little "Fish" carburetors we hear so much about? You want at least some economy. Now you will probably need to plumb your own intake manifold and the stock hood will be modified. Figure out how many CFM you need and divide by eight. Jet the one barrels accordingly. Oh, that linkage thing is going to be a bit of a job to figure out and synchronize. In the end, I don't think performance will be improved over currently available options. Report back when you find a real life.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Most things are possible, this included. You could use four two-barrel Webers as well.

Reply to
<HLS

It would be far more practical to use one 8 barrel carburetor!

Reply to
Cool Jet

We ought to invent one, CoolJet...

Actually, when I was in college, a friend's father machined an adaptor and put one four barrel on top of another....Said it was fantastic... The oil companies must have bought the rights and kept this bit of technology off the shelves ;o)

Reply to
<HLS

Just thinking about trying to tune up and sync 8 single barrel carbs makes my skin crawl. Been through tuning DelOrtos, Webers, and Keihin singles and twins. Not a lot of fun. At least the Webers are not too bad for parts.

Reply to
Steve W.

In a sense, the old dual quad setups were as close as we'll ever come to an 8 barrel carb. While they were 2 separate carbs, they were hooked up with common progressive linkage. Thank Gawd for modern fuel injection! Although I still like just about any GM V8 running a 4 barrel!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Yep, TPFI has solved a lot of problems.

Reply to
<HLS

Of course it's possible. Not only that but it has been done no less than thousands of times on all kinds of V-8 engines. Look into Offenhauser intakes or down draft carbeurators or Enderle injection. These should find you links to what you are looking for. Goodguys Rod and Custom Club sites may also be of help.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Why do you want eight carbs ? Good luck setting the mixture.

If you " must " do this, how about a blower manifold ? Aluminum strips could be machined to fit the manifold, the strips could be bored and drilled for carbs. As for carb, Motorcycle carbs might work well, as for linkage, probably the eccentric bellcranks from 2

4 cyl motorcycles would work as well as anything. Using 2 throttle cables might be better than a Y splice.

Am I right that your out for torque [ tractor pull ? ] if your out for top end, dual quads, or a big Demon type carb would rule, as 8 wimpy carbs won't flow as much air as one monster carb.

Reply to
451CTDS