Cars Are Better Now Than They Ever Were!

Page 2 of 2

I agree with everything, except that the stock radios now are still crap.
The trick with the old Nova's is to pull the engine and transmission, and replace it with a late model engine with fuel injection and a 700r-4 transmission, and you have the best of both worlds...styling that can't be matched with todays cars, and a powertrain that is going to be more fuel efficient, and in most cases more powerful, with no cold start problems. A few suspension upgrades, and you have a nice handling car, which is something the original Nova suspension was not noted for. I've had a 63, a 70, 71, and a 77. I still have the '71, but you pull the hood, and instead of the 350 2 barrel, sits a really nice looking ,96 Corvette engine, complete with fuel injection, and a 4-speed automatic . It will eat the original engine alive in acceleration, and gets about 26 mpg....over double what the original got. It was a little time consuming, and aggravating as hell, to deal with the computer and all associated wiring, but in the end well worth it. The real funny part that catches a lot of people off guard...it still has the original factory hubcaps with whitewall tires...like Granny's car! Nice quiet pipes too.
J Grant wrote:

What's funny is my buddy and I are both computer techs... but his hot rod Nova is about as traditional as you can go. Holley 650 on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, the infamous "mild" cam (I dunno the specs) and a Mallory HEI and MSD (6 AL?.) No fuel injection or computers here. It's kind of satisfying setting the timing by ear and then checking with a light and seeing I can do about 10 degrees BTDC by feel now...
:)
I'm anything but a computer tech myself. I appreciate the original engines, but I also like the gas mileage I get with the Corvette running gear. I used to have an old Pontiac LeMans with a nice Chevy 350 in it with the Holley carb and mild cam. It was definately a runner, but she was a thirsty girl.
Paradox wrote:

entertainment systems" in them now. Imagine if 8 track decks and cassette decks were as integrated...