catalitic problems???

i have a 94 grand prix and just changed a timing belt on it.it's the 3.4 dohc engine.problem now is it ran fine for about 10 minutes then upon it in idling, i gave it some gas by way of pulling on the throttle under the hood and there appeared to be a loud hiss from the front of engine then and engine started to idle roughly,the cat also is making a lot of noise, like it's all broken up inside,it wasn't this bad before belt went.but i had test run the car several times adjusting timing belt aand it ran several times with cams out of time,if the cat was going bad to begin with,could the engine out of time running really destroyed it????just what are the signs of a bad cat????what was the hiss then rough idle????is the cat bolted up to where i can replacwe myself???

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Shep

Well, the hissing sounds like to me a vacuum leak. As for the cat, if you hear a rattle noise from it and you checked your exhaust to make sure there are no broken wields or broken mounts then I would have it replaced.Very expensive. The cat is hard to replace.You will have to disassemble the exhaust. Most cats are mounted behind the engine right under the passenger floor board.As for the timing, if it is off too far you can damage the cylinders and it will run very bad.I hope this helps.Good luck.

Reply to
Todd A. Delk

What about removing it? Or if you have air care, put a pipe down the middle of it....problem solved

Reply to
bob

A good blast down the highway should clear the cat of any fuel residue. A new Monolith cat is fairly cheap = hundreds less than dealer item, so to speak.

The rough running could be a vacuum leak, or similar pesty problem Some cars use an air reaction system to keep cat hot by supplying bonus oxygen via a belt driven pump. The hiss could be compressed air ?

Reply to
Paul