Catalytic converter on 78 Buick Regal: remove?

If I removed my cat, how much better power and gas mileage would I get? Its pretty rusty and looks like it might come apart soon anyway. From what I've heard, the early cats robbed a fair amount of
the vehicle's power. I have a 3.8l 231 cc V6 which has 110 hp (which seems kinda low) and gets 21 mpg highway. Just curious about this. I live in Wyoming so smog tests are not a big concern.
Bill Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.com) wrote:

I guess the minor detail that it's a FEDERAL crime to remove it doesn't bother you. Nor does the increase in pollution or the fact that unless it is plugged it isn't hurting the engines performance at all.
--
Steve W.

...plus, on some applications, the mpg may actually decrease! Had a cat-to-rear fall off the exhaust pipe on a '77 Buick LeSabre, v-8 engine, and the power dropped so radically, you'd think the cat had stopped up completely--rather than the opposite. s