Cavalier '89 need parts from junkyard from what years & what GM cars I can use?

That '89 cavalier sedan (chain timing 2.0L engine type) needs number of parts to pass safety (Ontario, canada) & functional stuff. Trying not to spend too much money on it by junkyard & new parts route, I only plan to keep it for couple to three years.

I think junkyard is good idea to get these parts, point is I wanted to know what years and models they're compatiable with this cavalier '89.

Items:

4 doors & trunk (rust what else?) done by either body shop or same garage where is car at. Shocks (all around, rear shocks and struts w/ top plates. Exhaust system: cat. converter, muffler extension pipe & tailpipe. Right front link kit. Replace CV outer boots (use new boots).

I will hire off to shop to do these items including fuel & brake lines.

I'll can do these following otherwise tell me if one of them is hard or need special tools: Front brakes (hoses, slider kit, rotor & pads), various lights. Key cylinder ingition (it's jamming bec of physical damage & hard to turn when starting). Steering power high press hose. Lights. Mix new and used parts.

I already have body shop estimate on that car, 1,000 to do rocker panels, repair rust (mostly bottom) but rest of car is good.

Oh, I have other car Sunbird 91 sedan for parts. If not tell me to sell it for parts and raid junkyard off correct cars.

Cheers & thanks.

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

The parts you need are worth more than the value of the car.

I traded my high mileage, rusted out 89 Cavalier RS coupe in 1998 (2.8 L V6), and I only got $900.00 for it (original trade-in value was $500).

Using parts from '88 to '91 (Cavalier or Sunbird) should be OK. The J-Body cars didn't get a big design change until '95, so you may be able to use the doors and trunk lid up to the '94 models.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Are you from USA?

Thanks!! Now I have a range of choices to get parts from. My sunbird '91 is worse than this and engine type I don't like (timing belt, cav '89 engine is chain). I like the Cav '89 better and I only paid 120 cdn for it. Body itself is good only need bit of TLC, just the parts, and some rust repairs.

Cav is 140,000km and is running, Value for a decent car of this age is about 2,000 canadian dollars where I'm in. The 500 to 1,000 dollars cars I seen are junkyard quality or crushed. I have decent sized junkyard only 5 min away by car.

Cheers,

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Talked to garage and they advised me to junk it. What a relief! Now feel free to choose a vehicle I really wanted and pay more to get decent condition with minimum repairs, standard size caravan.

Cheers & thanks

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Nope. I'm in Ottawa.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Brad,

Cool, That figures for 900 on a trade-in rusted out car, Ottawa is expensive city. I've visited there, nice place but became very busy big-city lately, last visit was 2 yr ago also 20 yr ago that was quiet but not any more.

I'm in Kingston, grew up most of my life except born in Montreal then moved out to Kingston then between kingston and Brantsford (most of time at institution) between 77 to 86. :-)

If you noticed, it was not your comment, that info was what decided to junk both cars anyway and get a decent caravan with little fixing that I really preferred. Thanks for comments.

Cheers,

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.