Cavalier Chain Noise

Hello.
I'm hoping someone here can help me. My mechanic hasn't been able to figure this one out. Its is long story but I'll try to be brief.
Basically, my 1998 Cavalier Z24 is making a loud noise. The noise
doesn't start right away after a cold start, but does start fairly quickly after I start driving. The noise itself sounds like a chain going around a gear/sprocket.
Background:
I recently had to replace my water pump (the second time I've had to do this). Shortly after having the water pump replaced (a few days) the car started sounding like a diesel. We took it in, and they replaced the water pump yet again (apparently a factory dud).
After replacing it, they noticed that a different noise had started. This noise sounds like a chain going around a gear/sprocket. I was told it had something to do with a tensioner for the chain that is used to drive the camshaft, that the tensioner was faulty and was making the chain loose - thus the noise. They also said this was a potential major problem is the chain were to get too loose and fly off. They replaced the tensioner and chain, and we got the car back. I have a 45minute highway drive home, and by the time I got the car home the noise was back, loud as ever. Back to the garage I went.
They tried numerous things, like checking the engine oil pressure (I guess the tensioner is hydraulic), etc. They just couldn't get the noise to stop. They also lubed the power steering pump because they noticed that the noise stops completely when the steering wheel is turned slightly at a stop. It also went away when they gave it a bit more throttle.
They claim that the car is fine mechanically, and that we will just have to live with the noise (i.e. "It's an older car. Older cars start to make noises after awhile."). They assured me that nothing minor or major is wrong.
I'm not so sure. The noise seems to be getting louder. I'm reluctant to take it back to the same shop, as they say they've tried everything and have been in contact with GM and even they are stumped. But taking it back there would be probono as it started after they replaced the water pump.
I have also noted that same thing with the noise stopping after a bit more throttle is used or when the steering wheel is turned slightly at a stop.
Has anyone else had this kind of problem with a cavalier? Would anyone have any ideas about what is actually causing the noise?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Corey D.
Is this noise there with the belts off? If so it is internal and will have to come back apart, assuming it is coming fom the front of the engine. If not, it is in the pulley sytem of the engine accessories.

Hi, and thanks for the response.
I don't know if the noise is still present with the belts off. Is this something I can check myself relatively simply?
Corey

Corey Dale wrote:

I'm not sure if this is your problem...but it's real common for techs working on the Quad engine to not setup the chain tensioner properly. There is a procedure for it, and if you don't follow it properly, it cannot put the proper tension on the chain.
Ian
Hi Ian, thanks for the response.
I first noticed the noise when I first got the car back from the shop after the water pump was replaced. When I took it back, they said that the noise was being caused by the loose chain, which was in turn caused because their tech apparently hadn't properly followed the procedure for setting the tensioner.
They apparently reset it, and the noise was still present. They eventually tried replacing the tensioner completely, but that hasn't seemed to work either.
I'm thinking of taking it my local GM dealership to have them check it out, but they charge through the teeth for anything/everything.
Any other ideas on what could be causing it?
Corey

Corey Dale wrote:

Well, I think that you could make a good case for the fact that whatever they did or didn't do...."that" has caused the problem. I'd be leery about trusting them about what is causing the noise...sounds as though they are in CYA mode. It's quite possible that running the chain with an inoperative tensioner may have done some further damage.

Right, but there is usually a reason for that....at least at our dealership. It's because we know what we are doing for the most part and will deal with a problem if we cause it.

Not off hand. Like I said earlier....we've seen this happen enough times to know what usually has happened. And it's almost always a car that has been taken to a non-dealer shop that is not familiar with the Quad's.
Ian
(Corey Dale) wrote in message news:

Did they check the alternator? Had a sort of similar noise in my Blazer...dunno if it was a bearing or loose brush, but eventually it seized up.