Cavalier Odometer?

I remember reading about how others have removed the speed limiter from the Cavalier to increase its top speed and that when this button is pushed it stops the speedometer and odometer from working at that point. Is it possible to stop them all the time or preferably the odometer?

Since the odometer is digital is there a way of stopping it if one was to try? I know someone that has a Ford Ranger p/u that found if a fuse was removed it stopped the speedometer, odometer and the windshield wipers.

The car is a 2001 Cavalier Z24 5spd with the 2.4L engine.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Believe me, its a $10,000 economy car for a reason, thats why the speedo only goes up to 110mph, the regular cars get unstable at 80mph+, with the Z24 or GT models, then its ok up to maybe 100mph, so unless you've invested money into suspension modifications, going any faster in one of these will probably end with you and the car being a grease spot on a wall somewhere. The only reason you'd want to go faster then 109 anyways is if your running less then 13's in the quarter mile. In which case you've already invested unholy gobs of money into the car, that you'd easily be able to afford having the ECU reprogrammed to remove the speed limiter, rev limiter, etc. That costs about $300, try

Paradox

I really don't care about the speed of the car, it goes fast enough for me the way it is. Trust me, I don't plan to take it up to 109, but am curious if there is a way to disconnect the odometer. Any ideas?

I have a bad experience with my 99 Cavalier odometer now. It shows one half number of digits for about couple minutes (used to be ~30 seconds), then it displays the other half digit numbers. For example:

My car about 64502 miles, when I start to run the car, it displays:

6 blank 5 blank 2 then later it displays: blank 4 blank 0 blank

It did the same way for the trip odometer. I read in some place, they said

98 & 99 have this problems and it cost ~200 to fix it and I have to take the dash board and send it in. I could not find any recall for this.
Reply to
Hai Pham

And what (non-illegal) reason would you have for wanting to do that?

Reply to
Robert Hancock