Cavalier power problem

I have a 1990 GM Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L AC PS PB that shows this problem: when going uphill engine gives a tick-tick-tick sound and no power. When I step on gas pedal on highway or on street, engine gives a
tick-tick-tick sound and no acceleration until a long time 2 minutes later. (This problem came on about the same time last year when the AC stop working, blew a fuse. I replaced a fuse, AC still not working. Compressor will not kick on. I short circuited the relay and I can get the compressor and fan go on.) The car has filled with premium gas, still tick-tick-tick. Car has metal timing chain and no timing mark. It has electronic crank position sensor for controlling timing. Compression on all 4 cylinders are perfect. Vacuum test at 20mmHg steady no fluctuating. No sign of oil in coolant, and no sign of coolant in oil. Any suggestion?
Take it to a shop and have it checked out and scanned for proper operation of sensors and fuel mixture.

-

Have you put a new fuel filter in it? Checked the fuel pressure?
Scott wrote:

I'd check the MAF. The nothing happens under load(no power at all), but then suddenly decides to figure it out, usually when you stomp it really hard and fast(lift off the pedal and stomp it down hard). That's a bad MAF most of the time.
I changed fuel filter, O2 sensor, PCV, cleaned EGR, checked fuel pressure. cleaned MFA also. I scaned with a engine diagnoses kit , no code. The only thing is tracing the vacuum line to see if any hose is unplugged, and take it to dealer for scaning diagnoses and timing check.
*****************************************8 Scott wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Some MAFs can't be cleaned, especially if they are nearly dead to begin with. My guess would the air intake/ratios or the fuel pressure is too low - that's about all there is that would cause it to bog down when you floor it.
I assumed the air filter was also replaced.
Is the problem occur all the time or only after driving for a while? Have you ever noticed a suction when removing the gaz cap?

No one mentioned a plugged catalytic converter. Easy to check and a known problem on older Cavaliers.
Al

Big Al wrote:

Yeah, a pluged exhaust will also cause terrible running, though I suspect it's a bit different since he says it clears itself up after a while.
yes, you may be right. The car has only 60K miles on it. Indeed, MAF may not be cleaned even I tried. The cat. converter may be bad. I may try to thermal scan it and probe it. Indeed when I take off the gas cap I do not feel a poop. That may means the gas line pressure is not high enough. (I changed the fuel filter but it still does the same thing--ping-ping-ping when I go uphill, changed PCV, cleaned EGR). I may also try a different brand of gas, different or highest octane. Also try different spark plugs and timing if I can change the timing. ..................................... Joseph Oberlander wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Check the MAF first. If the reed-like assembly inside is toast, which you can't tell by looking on most models, then you'll get a sluggish or nonexistant throttle response. The EGR controls idle more than anything, so if it stumbles and sometimes shuts off at stoplights, like it is a motorcycle with the choke set wrong, especially in the morning, it's likely that.
If both are bad, the car barely runs, IME.
Thank you to all . I finally solved my problem for the time being. After 3 tanks full of Chevron premium gasoline with octane 91, the ping ping noise when going uphill disappeared. Also when accelerating on freeway is faster response, no more ping-ping-ping. Anyone care to give me a reason why I have to use high octane gas for this car. one year ago, I can use octane 87.
*************************************************** snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Inoperative knock sensor
Carbon buildup in combustion chambers has raised the compression ratio
Red hot carbon in combustion chamber causing pre-ignition