Cavalier - Recall

I got a letter in the mail from GM saying that the Ignition Switch on my

2000 Cavalier will catch on fire and that GM will Fix this problem. Does anybody know what they have to do to fix this problem.... I do not want them taking the dash apart or the Steering Wheel to fix this problem. GM May Screw things up even more... I may just leave it as it is and not have them play around with it... I will just remember if the car does not start to not keep cranking the engine and let the ignition switch cool down a 2 min before trying again then it should not catch fire... I will take my chances. And if it does catch fire i will pretend i did not get the letter from GM and play dump to the insurance company and they will pay me for another car.....
Reply to
Captain Crane

On the other hand, you might as well get GM to repair it for free now. If you decide to sell the car, it will be worth more repaired than not repaired. When smart buyers are getting ready to buy a used car, they look up the recall history.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Reply to
none

Hi...

I think you maybe better change your mind...

I doubt you'll have much luck pretending you didn't get the letter after having posted this...

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yeah, what he said, hehe. I temporarily owned an '00 Cavi earlier this year and had the recall performed. They added a Tyco brand relay and wiring harness to the starter directly in front of the engine and mounted the relay on the radiator frame. The only "permanent" modification was a hole they drilled for the sheet metal screw used to hold the relay socket. No work was done anywhere else on the car. I was afraid that the kit would be installed under the dash and I'd end up with splices and wires that didn't look factory, but this wasn't the case.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Uhm, with all due respect, a fire will probably screw the most things up. And it's not GM you have to worry about, it's the tech doing the job. If you find a dealership whose service department you have faith in, then I doubt they'll "screw things up even more."

From what I've heard, it's possible for the ignition to catch fire even if it's been left idle for cool-down time, in some cases. The short remains even if you're not trying to start the engine and the heat builds over time.

Yeah, let's just hope no one is IN the car, or it's not parked in a garage or near a tree or your house....

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Keep your car tuned up so you don't have to crank it for more than a second or two and you'll never have a problem with that ignition switch. Or you can buy dirty gas, never tune your car up and smell the melt down

Reply to
Full_Name

Yeah all the non-factory looking wiring is in the engine bay instead :D

Reply to
Paradox

Sure don't have it fixed, then I can pass you on the toll road while you are standing behind the vehicle watching it burn. The wife & kids upset that their vacation was ruined because you wouldn't let Chevy take apart your steering column.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

What a Maroon !

Harry Face

I think that you're missing the Bugg's Bunny "Accent" on the "Maroon"

God I loved the old Bugs Bunny Hour when I was a kid.

Reply to
Full_Name

The fix for this problem is to install a relay in the engine compartment so that the ignition switch is not subject to the full current of the starter solenoid. The ignition switch will not be replaced unless it is already damaged (tested by checking to see if it reliably cranks the engine after the relay is installed).

Reply to
Robert Hancock

This is somthing for me to think about ... Thanks to the people who have a Cavalier and that GM will not take the dash or the steering wheel apart.... It sound like a Simple fix for them... In Fact I could probably do it myself if they gave me the parts.. Im Electronics Certified... I dont like Dealers working on my car as they could Screw the car up and try to get you to trade it in on a new car.... I will think some more on this... Thanks to all the Cavalier owners who responded. Brian - Las Vegas

Reply to
Brian Bower

hairy face thinks he is somthing but he is Really nothing..

Reply to
Captain Crane

hairy face who makes fun of people does this because he is insecure with himself and it makes him feel superior in his own eyes

Reply to
Captain Crane

Captain Cranium ( an Empty Cranium that is ) wrote : hairy face thinks he's something but he's really nothing.

First off you spelled my name wrong.

Second, if I had a car that had a potential problem of erupting into flames and possibly injuring people, burning a garage or house down I'd have the common sense to have the problem fixed.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~288,088 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

And if it does

Another common misconception about car insurance. They only pay what the pos is worth at the time of loss, not what you owe on it or how much it will cost to replace it.

Reply to
noname

fix your cavilier z29 convetable

Reply to
Captain Crane

Oh the tears I've heard when that lesson is learned. $21K purchase has an insurance payout of $9K 1 year later.

Reply to
Full_Name

I payed $3000.00 dollars for it in perfect condition with 34,000 orig miles, Auto , Air, Anti-lock brakes from my brother who bought it new and lives with me.... I have surviced this car since new.... WHAT A DEAL... IM HAPPY !!!!

Reply to
Captain Crane

recall - pass on the recall

Reply to