Cavalier Stall

My son has a 1992 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 with about 125,000 miles on it . The problem is that at times car wants to stall out and die. Only when he has
driven it at speeds over 50 mph. Have looked into it possibly being a sticking egr, but checks ok. Does this sound like anything thatanyone has seen.
Sounds like classic symptoms of the torque converter solenoid sticking.

Have you ever changed the fuel filter?
Stalling at higher speeds usually means blocked fuel filter or possibly a weak fuel pump...

When does it stall, while driving at high speed or when you come to a stop after driving at high speed?

After coming to a stop.

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:36:44 -0500, Kevin P. Degan wrote:

TCC sticking. IOW the convertor is still in lock up when the vehicle comes to a stop and the engine stalls. Similar to leaving a manual transmission in gear, coming to a stop and not stepping on the clutch. EGR valve not seated correctly, ie:sticking.
FWIW I had the sticky EGR valve on my Caprice and it was a pain to diagnose because it and the circuit always checked out ok. Replaced the valve and my intermittant, poor idle/ throttle response disappeared.

TOP POST!!!!!!!! It could be any number of things with this many miles.....First off Id check the fuel pressure... Before I went cazy thinking what it could be...Also do you have any codes ? These things have a habbit of rubbing the wire harnesses on different parts of the engine causing shorts.... S Cook
Re: Cavalier Stall Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, May 21, 2005, 11:50am (CDT+1) From: snr snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (SO) On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:36:44 -0500, Kevin P. Degan wrote: After coming to a stop. TCC sticking. IOW the convertor is still in lock up when the vehicle comes to a stop and the engine stalls. Similar to leaving a manual transmission in gear, coming to a stop and not stepping on the clutch. EGR valve not seated correctly, ie:sticking. FWIW I had the sticky EGR valve on my Caprice and it was a pain to diagnose because it and the circuit always checked out ok. Replaced the valve and my intermittant, poor idle/ throttle response disappeared.