Cavalier transmission

Hi

I own a Cavalier 96 2.2l with 190000KM. Last week i started the car placed it in Drive or Reverese and it was not moving. After abit it moved forward, however in reverse i had to rev the engine and abit i would hear a loud "tack" noise and it move in reverse (I would also hear a grinding noise). The car seems to function fine in Drive mode however in reverse on occasion i would hear that loud "tack" noise before moving. I brought the car to the garage and the mecanic said i would require a rebuilt transmission (around $1500). Is this the real cause of the problem? Any advice would be helpful. Can i still driver the car?

Thanks Robert

Reply to
RbrtRss

Take it to a good transmission shop and have them look at it. They have more knowledge at diagnosing transmission problems.

Reply to
Woody

Sounds like a valve body issue. If you drive it like that, you can damage it. Your car needs to go to a competent transmission shop, and be diagnosed. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig