Cavalier transmission

Hi
I own a Cavalier 96 2.2l with 190000KM. Last week i started the car placed it in Drive or Reverese and it was not moving. After abit it moved forward,
however in reverse i had to rev the engine and abit i would hear a loud "tack" noise and it move in reverse (I would also hear a grinding noise). The car seems to function fine in Drive mode however in reverse on occasion i would hear that loud "tack" noise before moving. I brought the car to the garage and the mecanic said i would require a rebuilt transmission (around $1500). Is this the real cause of the problem? Any advice would be helpful. Can i still driver the car?
Thanks Robert
Take it to a good transmission shop and have them look at it. They have more knowledge at diagnosing transmission problems.

placed it

"tack"
would
and
this
driver

placed it

"tack"
would
and
this
driver
Sounds like a valve body issue. If you drive it like that, you can damage it. Your car needs to go to a competent transmission shop, and be diagnosed. Charles