CD player installation

'87 DeVille. I'd like to add a CD player to the existing radio system. Either underdash or remote mount. First: is this possible using the existing system? The existing radio has a cassette player and graphic equilizer. The cassette is pretty-much useless these days, since CDs are the preferred medium. I do not want to change the radio, only add the CD player and have the player input controlled by the radio. Advice/help/info appreciated. Thanks!

Dave S (Texas)

Reply to
putt

Can't do what you want Dave, since there is likely no control output from the existing radio. I believe the cassette controls are integral to the radio - correct? Best advice - even though you don't really want to, just add an after market CD player. Maybe you can find a C.D./radio out of a current model in a salvage yard, that will fit the hole in your dash. Likely to be expensive though. Or... just hang loose - you'll have another car soon enough - right?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Tried googling "underdash cd"? I found several ideas/units. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Mike, it can be done economically. There is a (car audio cassette adapter) that will connect the CD player into the radio's cassette player. The radio controls will function normally as it thinks it is playing a cassette. Deluxe CD players did come with the adapter and also included a power cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter and dropped the voltage down to 3 volts. These adapters were also available separately. It is an awkward set up but the CD player could just be placed on the floor, seat or whatever. I used this set up for some time with a DVD player, which BTW had a remote. The remote is nice as you can select tracks without taking your eyes off the road.

Reply to
Sudy Nim

I forgot about these. They were around when Walkmans first came out but I thought they'd long fallen off the market. I got going down the path of thinking he wanted an integrated solution and never gave this idea a moment of thought.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Along with the other suggestions, you could also get a CD changer with an FM modulator built into it. You mount the CD changer anywhere in the car, and a control pod get's put near the driver (such as on the dash), which controls which CD is playing, which track and such. When you tune your existing radio/cassette unit to a certain FM station (chosen by you and the CD changer) you hear which ever CD you are playing. I tried one of these once, and they aren't too difficult to hook up. Don't expect CD quality though, as it is brought in as an FM transmission. Still sounds great, but obviously nothing is going to sound as good as actually putting in a full CD deck.

Reply to
80 Knight

player into the >radio's cassette player. The radio >controls will function normally as it thinks >it is playing a cassette.

Thank you for this info! I will make two of the adapters to serve both the DeVille and my truck. Next is to find a multi-disk player I can afford.

I appreciate the advice and info. Thanks!

Dave S (Texas)

Reply to
putt