CD player installation

'87 DeVille. I'd like to add a CD player to the existing radio system. Either underdash or remote mount. First: is this possible using the existing system? The existing radio has a cassette player and graphic
equilizer. The cassette is pretty-much useless these days, since CDs are the preferred medium. I do not want to change the radio, only add the CD player and have the player input controlled by the radio. Advice/help/info appreciated. Thanks!
Dave S (Texas)

Can't do what you want Dave, since there is likely no control output from the existing radio. I believe the cassette controls are integral to the radio - correct? Best advice - even though you don't really want to, just add an after market CD player. Maybe you can find a C.D./radio out of a current model in a salvage yard, that will fit the hole in your dash. Likely to be expensive though. Or... just hang loose - you'll have another car soon enough - right?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike, it can be done economically. There is a (car audio cassette adapter) that will connect the CD player into the radio's cassette player. The radio controls will function normally as it thinks it is playing a cassette. Deluxe CD players did come with the adapter and also included a power cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter and dropped the voltage down to 3 volts. These adapters were also available separately. It is an awkward set up but the CD player could just be placed on the floor, seat or whatever. I used this set up for some time with a DVD player, which BTW had a remote. The remote is nice as you can select tracks without taking your eyes off the road.

I forgot about these. They were around when Walkmans first came out but I thought they'd long fallen off the market. I got going down the path of thinking he wanted an integrated solution and never gave this idea a moment of thought.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

player into the >radio's cassette player. The radio >controls will function normally as it thinks >it is playing a cassette.
Thank you for this info! I will make two of the adapters to serve both the DeVille and my truck. Next is to find a multi-disk player I can afford.
I appreciate the advice and info. Thanks!
Dave S (Texas)