cd players-newer vehicles

Recently purchased Olds Silhouette with a 6 disc in dash cd changer. It frequently skips or stops completely, especially at high speed and/or when heat is on high. Happens with both my purchased cd's and my own mixes on cdr. Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Reply to
hbj14

Yep, always been pretty unhappy with the GM CD players. Seems like after a couple years they get worse and worse, and often won't play certain disks at all. The dealer says it needs to be cleaned, which means they remove it and send it off somewhere and in the end you're out a couple hundred dollars. Don't understand how a Best Buy cheapo can last for years and years, yet GM can't quite cut it. I have a new Buick now (1 1/2 years old) and at 38000 miles the CD player is already skipping. I have the extended GM warranty but cleaning the CD is specifically excluded. I guess they know their product is sub-par.

Reply to
John

Is this a factory "Delco" unit? Most "after market" changers have to be adjusted according to how they are mounted. There is usually an adjustment on the side of the unit that can be set for 0,45 or 90 degrees. This adjust the players laser. If it is not set correctly it will cause read/playback errors. You will have to remove the unit to check it. It can usually be adjusted with a screwdriver. You should NOT have to open the unit up to do this.

Reply to
Digi

and buy a new stereo, mont kit wire harness and antenna adapter. Plug it all in and enjoy.

Reply to
Im Right