Certified Former Rental below Blue Book Value - worth it?

Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy a used, but certified, chevy sedan with 50k miles for $7,000. This is below blue book value. The only reason I can figure for the cheap price is because it was a rental. So is it
worth it? I will own it for 1 to 2 years and then sell it. The certified warranty is only good for 3 months, so what's the chance I will have to shell out for repairs afetr 3 months?
Another option I'm looking at is buying a 1997 honda civic ex with 114 k miles on it for about 5 grand from a private owner, so no warranty.
Suggestions?
Thanks.

I'd take the Chevy over the Honda. The Chevy will probably have another 50K before serious problems, the Honda is already getting to the breaking point. Either one may go 200K, but either one can have a major problem tomorrow.
As for the value, there are many variables that you give no information on, such as model, accessories, trim level, etc.
wrote in message

If I were you, I'd buy (for $5000 or so) a 2000 or so Saturn SL1 or SL2 small sedan (same size as the Honda). Find one with low, one owner, babied miles, with all oil change receipts, like 60K miles or so. If the price is right, from a Saturn dealership perhaps. Perhaps, buy the ext. warranty, to 100K miles, (can negogiate its cost down to $1000 or so). The ext. aftermarket warranties I've bought have paid for themselves. But you'll love the Saturn -- character, personality, reliable, fun to drive, smooth.
My last car was a '98 Saturn SL1 that I bought used with 40K miles. I've owned many Toyotas and Hondas, but the Saturn was the best of the bunch. In the 40K miles I had it, it only had one problem. Throttle Position Sensor. I took it to the local Saturn dealership (didn't buy it there). They had it fixed in 40 minutes. Didn't try to upsell me anything. Bill was $100. They even washed it after they were done. Very professional place and courteous. And the coffee in the waiitng room was very good!
-
Did you ever rent a car ? If so how did you drive it ? Did you actually care about it ? Did you see what she would do ? Enough said.

care
Not really. Do you really believe that driving a car a bit hard is beyond its design intent? That getting right on it will somehow damage it? I rent cars all of the time and though I have a pretty good right foot and don't mind at all feeling acceleration when I step on it, I don't do anything genuinely brutal to a car. Most people don't.
People have been buying cars that have come back in from the rental fleet with no problems for too long now, for your idea to have any merit. The higher risk is a personal lease car. That's the one that has more than likely not seen regular oil changes, etc. The individual owner knows he or she is going to roll the car back into another lease in two, three or four years and typically only cares that they don't go over the mileage allowance. Rental car fleets actually see regular maintenance, as do fleet lease vehicles.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net