Chains for 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

I am looking for some type of tire traction device for my 2002 Olds Bravada. The owner's manual states you are not to use chains on this vehicle. Does anyone know of a type of tire traction device that can be used on this vehicle? Any experiences using them?

thanks.

Reply to
bobjones1000

For ice or mud? If ice traction is what you are looking for, try a good ice/snow tire with studs. Studs may be illegal where you live, so check. Need more extreme you could switch to a spiked tire, 1-1/2 long spikes are common.

For mud, there are lots of really good mud terrain tires on the market. Look at the BFG MT. If you need something a little more extreme, super-swampers are nice. I would also recommend getting beadlock rims so you can air down lower if required. There is one set out there, IIRC, that are DOT approved.

I would get no less than a 31x10.5x15 tire, so you're likely going to need to install a lift. 3" should do.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

check out tire rack

Reply to
Tim

Do they still make the cable chains?

They were made from 1/8 inch or so steel cables. I haven't lived in cold country for awhile so I don't know if they are still available.

Reply to
Scott

There is a VERY good reason they warn about tire chains on the Bravada. Being it has open differentials on both ends and the open unit in the transfer case that gives you the AWD it is easy to lose control of the vehicle when the traction shifts around between the tires because of the chains. Oh and by chains they mean ANY type of tire wrapping traction aid. That includes cables or stud belts.

What you will probably need to do is get a set of steel rims, and mount up 4 GOOD studded snows for it. That way you don't end up destroying the drive train.

Reply to
Steve W.

Studs provide little season-long benefit. Good quality rubber is the answer. Studs, while effective on ice, are totally ineffective on pavement and in fact, can provide a significantly reduced traction on pavement. Most winter driving is under conditions where the pavement is either bare/wet, or where there is not enough hardpack to keep the studs off the pavement. Good rubber will provide all of the traction that is necessary for any winter driving, with no issues. I suspect the studded tires will create the same issues for the AWD that chains do.

Reply to
Mike Marlow