"CHANGE OIL" Light

There's a running battle going on over in another newsgroup.
Whether to "change oil every 3000 miles" or Change oil when the "CHANGE OIL" light comes on.
( up to 10,000 miles between changes ? )
One side says; Motors are engineered to go longer between oil changes.
Others say; "Vast conspiracy to make engines wear out faster"
My car has the "Change oil" light, but I get nervous around 5000 miles, and change it anyway. ( oil still looks like new )
??? <rj>
<RJ> wrote:

I would disagree with this. I might agree that "engine oil" has been engineered to go longer between changes.
> Others say;

No conspiracy....just the manufacturers giving the consumer what they think they want....ie: the low maintenance vehicle. I don't believe in a low maintenance vehicle myself. You gotta maintain them if you plan on keeping them for any length of time. If you plan on leasing a vehicle for 3 years and then turn it in.....I'm not sure I'd even bother with many oil changes. Not much will go wrong within 3 years...maintained or not.
Ian
Hey new 1992 Buick Lesabre owner here- how do I reset that damn light ? On a friends 1994 the reset switch is in the glove box- aint in there on mine- where'd they hide it?
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:09:50 GMT, "shiden_kai"

On my 2003 buick regal, you put the key in ignition, switch on, fully depress gas pedal 3 times within 3 or 5 seconds. Now the low tire pressure light has a button in the fuse block, on the end of the dash, against the passenger door. Good luck
bn wrote:

How do you drive? If you start your engine @ 6:00 AM and run it on the interstate till 8:00 PM when you shut it off? 5000 miles might almost be too frequent.
However.... If you start your car, drive across the street, sit down for a coffee go back out an hour later start it up drive back across the street then shut it off, etc, etc etc, 3,000 might be way too long.
The oil is changed to remove contaminants it absorbes and acids that build up in it. Good air filtration and a steady 198' engine temperature will allow the oil to last & last (synthetic also lasts longer). Cheap oil, temperature fluctuations, excessive blow by and high particulate intake will all require a more frequent change.
Volvo has a prototype engine that is designed for 50,000 between oil changes (designed oddly enough for women drivers).
Ultimately the decision is yours, after all it's your car..

I'm following the light on my both vehicle and the used oil analysis are showing no problem at all.