Changing coolant sensor; any tips, or tricks?

Hello:

My 2001 Impala LS flashes a 'low coolant' warning on every start up. Plenty of clean, fresh DeathCool in the radiator and overflow tank, so I am sure it is the senor on it's way out.

I have the factory service manual, but wanted to see if there are any tips, or tricks to change this out. It looks as if the battery needs to come out? Do I need to reprogram the radio, or anything if I disconnect the battery?

Thanks for any suggestions/help. Have a nice day,

Bill

Reply to
billccm

Common problem.

Yes, the battery has to come out. You will lose programming if the battery is disconnected. If a theft lock code has been entered in the radio, it too will lock up until the correct code is re-entered. I just connect the battery from my Makita cordless drill to the alternator output stud and a good ground, this retains enough power to keeps things live.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I can't remember if it's the Impala's or the Venture style vans, but I know that I've been able to remove the coolant sensor by removing the right side headlight assembly on one of the above vehicles. You might try this, saves having to remove the battery.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

On my century its the headlight assembly that I removed

Reply to
Rick