changing fog lamp bulbs

My fog lamps quit working in my 2002 Regal. Before I take it to the dealer, I wanted to try changing the bulbs in case by some fluke they are just both burned out. According to a bulb website, it's a #893 replacement bulb. On the bulb replacement page of my owners manual, it does not list the fog lamp bulb along with the others, instead it says "see your Buick dealer". Is there something special I need to know to change the bulbs?

Also I notice there are a million websites that sell the whole replacement fog lamp (minus the bulb). I'm curious why they would be so commonly replaced - isn't it just another fixture, like a headlamp assembly? Or is there something electrical in them that goes bad?

John

Reply to
John

Wouldn't be terribly unusual; halogen low-voltage bulbs operated on a common electrical system tend to have extremely similar lifespans (dying within hours or days of each other is not at all uncommon). This is especially true if you use your fog lamps a lot -- i.e., if you live in an area with a lot of fog and have reason to use them frequently, or if you're one of these who insist on driving with your fog lamps on all the time, even when there's not a hint of fog within 50 miles.

Which "bulb website" told you that? Master US bulb application data has it as an H3 -- not the same at all as an 893. Master application data is occasionally incorrect, but there's a ton of garbage bulb info out there, so it matters which "bulb website" you were looking at. Hope you weren't tempted to buy any of this ultrablue/superwhite/silverbright/etc. type crapola.

Tends to lend support to the H3 theory -- GM continues to pretend bulbs that have been common throughout the world since 1965 (like the H3) are very special, rare and hard to find items.

Because they are mounted down low where rocks tend to take 'em out.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

If you're not sure they are bad why not check the socket for voltage?

Reply to
eddy eagle

Remove one of the bulbs and look at the filament . If there is a break in it , replace it . The type number should be printed at the base of it . I get mine at Walmart .

Reply to
Tim Kettring

Sometimes a break is visible, but not even close to always.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks, good point...

Reply to
John

Or/And put test leads to put 12 volts across the bulb terminals.

Reply to
HRL