changing heads

Hello i'm changing my heads on my 1992 chevy pickup 5.0L engine to 882 ....400 heads that someone gave me I wasn't sure if my head was cracked or had a head gasket leak..
being that funds are LOW and these heads are free I have no choice but to put them on so I can get back and forth to work...can't aford to send my old ones out to a shop or buy a tester or have someone do it for me it IS the only choice I have....my question is do I get gaskets for the 400 heads or do i buy the stock gaskets for the 305 ? thanks Will
Will wrote:

i can't be for sure but i don't think 400 heads will work on the 305 ...somehting about the 400 having a siamesed bore and steam holes in the 400 heads ...along with valve shrouding issues .......they make interchange manuals for fords Chevy's and dodges. you can more than likely find this online in other car forums.
Will wrote:

not clear the bore or the pistons.
What was the problem with the old heads? Steam, Sucking coolant. Describe the symptoms and someone might be able to make an educated reply.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

p.s. the only reason i was going to attempt this is because my friend said it was the same block...but I know nothing...if money wasn't an issue i would put my truck in the shop... thanks again everyone