Changing power steering fluid ..

My olds has alot of miles on it (220+) and the power steering pump starting making noise when turning. So I checked the fluid. It's full, but full of bubbles. So I figure the fluid has probably broken down over time (am I
wrong?) What would be the best method to replace the fluid? (I'd like to save the pump if I can).
Use your wife`s favorite turkey baster to draw out some fluid. Refill with fresh fluid. Start car, turn steering left and right. Stop engine. Repeat a few times to get more old fluid out. Post back your results !

starting
I have done this on cars with less miles on them, and steering effort actually dropped after adding fresh fluid. Roy

of
I prefer to pop the belt off, remove the return hose at the pump (plug the reservoir), and spin the pump by hand. Much of the fluid will drain out by gravity, and after that, fresh fluid can be added as the pump is spun until the new fluid starts coming out, signaling a complete change. If you have a helper, and can get to the reservoir with the engine running without losing an arm to the belts, having someone turn the wheel back and forth from near lock to near lock while idling will do a better job (continually add new fluid simultaneously).
A fluid change can't hurt, but if it's foaming up with a full reservoir, you will probably end up buying a pump soon anyway, as the old one probably has worn to the point of excessive internal leakage or maybe has a crack.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:37:58 -0700, Daniel wrote:

--
remove 'spamsucks' from mail addy for replies.
I fart in Darl McBride's general direction.