Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

Threaded View

Could someone direct me to a walkthrough of the correct method of spark plug
change on this vehicle? 3.4 litre engine.

I understand I need to pull the engine into the "service position" to change
the rear 3 plugs? what is the best way to hold the engine in that position?
Would a "come along" (chain strap, 1000lb capacity) be enough to hold the
engine forward, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks!

Re: Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

I used one of those 500lbs ratcheting tie down straps. One hook on the
engine and the other end on the lower rad support.

Steve

Re: Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

Never did that before. You can get at them from under the car where the
exhaust comes down. Its tight but can be done.

Re: Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

Ok, that's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Did you have any issues
with getting the engine back into position after you were done?

thanks

Re: Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

No. ;)

Re: Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

I used a come along, just be careful not to pull to much.  You will need to
remove the coil packs, they are held on by four nuts.  The nuts in the back
are difficult to get out.  I THINK they are removed with a 10 mm socket.

Re: Changing spark plugs on 1999 trans sport/montana

I remember that. I removed the coil packs but left the ignition module in
place. 6mm socket, or was it 5mm. Whatever it was, it was small.

Steve