Changing the Starter on a 96 Geo Prizm

A friend recently gave me a nice "beater" a 96 geo prizm. However, the starter motor seems to have quit. The solenoid clicks but there's no turning. Simply, I'd like to know where to look for it so I might change it myself. Thanks.

Reply to
Ted

Have you tried charging the battery first? Jumping it from another car?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The battery is brand new. All the lights are working well, The only problem is that the starter will not turn over.

Reply to
Ted

For the record - lights working fine is not a reliable indicator of sufficient battery. Starters typically draw upwards of 80A and lights don't put anywhere near that load on a battery.

So - first get underneath the car and inspect the starter cable. Make sure it is not loose or corroded. That's a common problem and worth the inspection. If that's not it, you'll have to pull the starter. While you're under there you'll see the two bolts that hold it in. Can't miss them. Disconnect the battery, remove the starter cable and the solenoid wire, and unbolt the starter. Pull it out. Put new one in, reverse the order of everything else.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks...the question was where the hell is the starter in this car. Unfortunately, despite having followed all your advice, I can't seem to locate it. Does it project outwards towards the firewall? I've changed starters on regular American cars, but this thing is really cramped down underneath. My only question is not how to diagnose the problem, the problem is where does it lie in relation to the engine and what markings should I be looking for.

Reply to
Ted

Thanks...the question was where the hell is the starter in this car. Unfortunately, despite having followed all your advice, I can't seem to locate it. Does it project outwards towards the firewall? I've changed starters on regular American cars, but this thing is really cramped down underneath. My only question is not how to diagnose the problem, the problem is where does it lie in relation to the engine and what markings should I be looking for.

Ok - sorry Ted - misunderstood. I've never removed one of these so I did a little google work. Figured it must be quite different if you're asking these questions. Well, it is. Here's a link you might find helpful...

... and another...

Looks like a real pain in the...

I did a quick google image search, but did not find any pictures of the starter in the engine. I didn't look exhaustively, so you might have better luck if you try. Either way, these two links should get you going.

Reply to
Mike Marlow