Changing Wheel hub - 1999 transsport

1999 Pontiac Transsport - 100,000 miles, 3.4 ltr engine, 4 speed

The last time I had my van in the shop, the mechanic told me one of the front wheel hubs was done and had a fair amount of vibration and play to it, and that this was probably one of the reasons my ABS light comes on every now and then. I have notice a shimmy in the front of the van recently at highway speeds, but only when the van is not under load (IE, if i give it gas the shake goes away, but if it is coasting, it is apparent).

How hard is it to change the wheel hub on this vehicle? I'm a average level backyard mechanic (I've done brakes, belts, gas tanks, starters, alternators, water pumps, rads, replaced a head gasket, etc), but don't have much access to specialized equipment.

Reply to
T.

It's a pretty straight forward job. The hub is held in place by 3 bolts from the back side. You'll have to remove the 33mm or 35mm (can't remember off the top of my head) nut that is on the end of the half shaft and push the half shaft back. You'll need a pretty hefty BFH to knock the hub out of the steering knuckle. You may find you need some heat too, but most times it's not necessary. Given your description of the situation, I would not be surprised if the hub comes out in two pieces. The new hub should fit in without any real force.

It's almost a guarantee that if the hub is that worn it's what is causing your ABS light. The sensor for the ABS is integral to the hub.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If it is anything like a Blazer with 4 wheel drive then it isn't all that hard. The hardest part is to get the axle nut on the end loose before you jack up the vehicle (it takes a fairly big socket and maybe an impact wrench). After that remove the brakes and rotor and unbolt the hub from the inside of the spindle and tap it out. I would use some threadlocker locktite on the bolts when you put them back in. The one I did on a Blazer took about a half hour.

Reply to
The Adams Family