cheap cars

"Renault, Nissan and Bajaj Motors are to jointly build a $2,500 car to compete with Tata Motors’ Nano cut-price family model.
The car, called ULC for “ultra low-cost,” will be made at a new 400,000-capacity joint-venture plant in Chakan, Maharashtra, the three companies said on Monday. Bajaj – best known for its motorcycles – and Renault and Nissan will own 50, 25 and 25 per cent of the joint venture respectively and the car will be sold from early 2011. "
Add pictures here
✖
It's called "the economy of scale"
GM would rather sell ONE car for $1,000,000 than sell 1000 cars for $1000 each.
Thats why they focus their product development/ads on $50K+ SUV's and pickup trucks.
--
<rj>
"Gosi" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
✖

True, for Ford and Chrysler as well.
But as they say: "putting all your eggs in one basket can lead to a disaster". The NA 3 did it to themselves. I'm a car buyer and became frustrated how they limited their variety of cars in the 90s. Toyota, Honda and Nissan played both sides of the fence very well. It's all about who has the best management and unfortunately the employees suffer most when management have a lack of foresight.
The presence of "foreign" car companies has saved us several times from the NA 3 forcing cars we don't want down our throats. This situation started in the mid 50s, when I bought a European car because I couldn't stand the oversized, gas consuming, poor handling NA designed cars. In the 60s the NA compacts recovered them a bit and I bought one, but then the compacts just had to grow in size, until 70s NA cars were crap I didn't want, so I bought a Japanese cars in the 70s. Smaller cars in the 80s recovered NA cars a bit and I again bought them, but they grew in size then were ignored because the big money was in oversized unnecessary personal vehicles. Finally gas prices are high enough to force the monster vehicles off the road- cheers! I hope the NA manufacturers recover, but they will have to change product very fast to do so. They may not know what to produce for the rapidly increasing gas prices, just as I don't know what to buy. For now I'm getting the equivalent of Prius mileage by using my mid sized car 40% less.
Add pictures here
✖
who turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

Check out the top two sellers from Toyota.
The $25,000 Prius and the $75,000 LX570. I saw that yesterday on msn.com.