Check Engine Light

Recently had engine replaced from recycle yard with 60k mile on it put in a 95 Chev.Lumina. Same size engine 3.4 V-6. by local engine exchange and install company.The check engine light is on and I smelled exhaust
fumes.The local install company said his book couldn't read a code that high.So I took it to local muffler franchise and was told metal hose from EGR valve to manifold was missing.Local install company will make it right.However would this cause check engine light to come on? only stays on when load is applied to engine.

I guess you will find out.
Ted