check engine light comes on

:cry: My check engine light comes on in my 1998 chevy malibu ls when I am driving it in the city and stopping a lot. It doesnt usually come on when I am driving at 55 miles at a time. Does anyone know the
reason. It will also go off after the car has cooled a little. Also the temperature gauge goes up a little.
The check engine light is a visual indicator that your car's computer has sensed something wrong and has stored an error code in it's memory. There is very little probability that someone will be able to tell you exactly what the computer is sensing over the internet just from the brief description that you've given here unless they are clairvoyant, so the only way to know for sure is to take it to a reputable shop and have them scan the computer for codes and read any and all it has set into memory. There is no real substitute for this. Anything offered here would be a guess - maybe a good guess, but a guess nonetheless. In other words, before you go doing any service on your car based on what someone mentions here, I'd still have the computer scanned first.
Cheers - Jonathan