check engine soon light

Hi I have a 90 cavalier Z24 that the check engine light keeps coming on. It throws one code which is 33. I was told that it was the egr valve so I replaced it . The thing is electronic and
pretty expensive. Also I tuned it up new plugs ,wires, coil pack pcv valve,all the filters and a oil change. The car runs great but again the check engine soon light came back on and again a 33 code. In PA the car will not pass emissions with the check engine light on. The car has a 3.1 engine and 165000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.
In article

Check for broken wires in the harness that goes to the EGR valve. The wires are only about 20ga. and pretty fragile.
I see it quite often...
den630 wrote:

You might want to look up gm error code 33. It is for map sensor high, not egr.
Sorry Paul you are correct the code I'm getting is 32. I will try to trace the wires to the valve as Neil suggested. Thanks for any help.

The EGR passages in the manifold could be clogged and preventing enough flow from going through.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

When you had the EGR off did you notice if the passages were clear?

Yes I did ,I disconnected the flexible hose that goes to the exhaust pipe to see if it was clogged it had some carbon inside but not much. I also checked the intake where the valve mounts to the engine again it some carbon buildup so I used a coat hanger and rag to clean it out. I used new gaskets when I put it back together plus some dielectric grease on the connector. It has me completely stumped so for now I put some black tire tape over the check engine light to stop me from going goofy.