"Check Gas Cap" Message for 2001 Cadillac DeVille

I have replaced the cap with a new one and the message still persists. Any ideas? Many thanks! Frank

frank1492 wrote:

Take it to a shop and have them scan it for the trouble code. They will probably test the vapor recovery system for leaks and find that one of the solenoid valves in the system is stuck open.
--
Steve W.

Thanks to you both. The new cap only cost $10 so I have no great loss. The dealer had previously told me it would need a new cap plus some other work- total about $80, but I didn't have them do anything. Glad now that I didn't! I'll be patient and see what happens. Thanks again. Frank P.S. I am posting another message relating to another problem with this vehicle.
It can take a few drive cycles for the pcm to retest the system and clear the code.

-

Chances are, it did not have to be replaced anyway. If the cap is loose, you will get the code. Once you re-tighten the cap it takes something like 15 - 20 cycles for it to go off. It is a real annoyance, but nothing serious happens.