"Check Gas Cap" Warning

The message centre on my 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE with 30,000 miles on it began showing "Check Gas Cap" yesterday. I reset the warning, shut off the
car, removed the cap and gave it a visual inspection, made sure that the mechanism inside the cap moved in and out and then put the cap back on. When I restarted the car, the "Check Gas Cap" warning came on again. The car appears to run normally, with no RPM surges, etc. Has anyone else had this problem? Do the gas caps actually screw up or is this a computer malfunction? All and any advice would be appreciated.
Sting Ray wrote:

Drive the car for a while and see if the warning indication goes away. Gas caps can go bad, but very rarely. Computers can malfunction.
---Bob Gross---

Thanks Bob! I reseated the cap again and took the car out for a short run and the message no longer pops up.
If the cap was loose, it may take a few trips for it to run the diagnostic and turn the light off. If the cap is OK but the light stays on, there's probably a leak somewhere else in the fuel evaporative system.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada