http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2147/2147079.jpg
http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2147/2147275.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2147/2147275.jpg">
http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2147/2147275.jpg
http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2146/2146957.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2146/2146957.jpg">
http://img1.qq.com/auto/pics/2146/2146957.jpg
http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p 61#post8761
there by chery and gm has deal with them

Now Chrysler wants to deal with Chery.
How ugly, just a few days ago the big 2.5 were sucking up to Bush for help against the low Japanese Yen. That was BS, but importing Chinese cars built in a dictatorship killing political opposition is really ugly. I won't be buying one!
Some O wrote:

Yeah, it reminds me of the good old days when Iaccoca was running Chrysler and never missed an opportunity to bash and badmouth the Japanese ... while at the same time cutting a deal to source Mitsubishi V-6 engines for minivans and other vehicles as well as VW engines and transmissions for the Omni/Horizon cars.
Talking out of both sides of the mouth is SOP for automotive executives.
John

As you know, they imported entire lines of cars -- not just engines. This was right after the Mideast oil crisis of the 1970's. Chrysler was caught without small cars. So they imported many different Mitsubishi models and slapped the Dodge/Plymouth badges on them. Colts/Champs/Sapporos/Challengers/D50 trucks/Plymouth Arrow cars and trucks, Dodge Raider, Conquest, etc.. But however, Chrsyler eventually R&D'd and tooled up and started making their own smaller cars -- Omni, Horizon, Reliant/Aires K cars, Lancer, Dakota trucks, minivans, etc.. They only used that VW engine in the Omni a year or so, I think. Then they put in their own 2.2 4 banger starting in 1980. The 2.2 was a durable little performer -- very long lasting, good gas mileage and power. Designed by the same engineer who designed the slant 6. But like most cheaper cars, most cars with the 2.2 were abused and not maintained. Thus many prematurely blew up. If properly taken care of, they last forever.
-

To get of on a tangent. I know people that seek re-possessed cars because they are a bargain. If the owner could not make the payments, you can be pretty sure they did not get oil changes when needed too.
Grappletech wrote: >

Indeed you are correct. All those poor captive imports which eventually became orphans. We also had the special treat of Opel by Isuzu sold by Buick!

The base design for the Omni was European. It was in many ways one of the first world cars, built in slight variations in multiple markets. The base US 1.7 l engine was the VW unit through 1983. The 2.2 was originally an option and eventually became standard. Lots of interesting history on the Omni/Horizon here:
http://www.allpar.com/omni/omni.html
John

Not hardly.
The Opel was an import from Germany. Isuzu is Japaneese.

3 years, '78 to '80. Also the VW stick shift transmission.

I had it in the Horizon in '81. Unfortunately Chrysler put in their own first 4 speed stick shift. It was a disaster, but I stuck with it and after many patch up jobs they replaced it totally in '84. Fine then, but what a horror story, including few mechanics who could even understand stick shift language.

Great engine. It had to be, it powered the K car which saved Chrysler.
Why is it OK for consumer to buy cars built in foreign county, or vehicles like the Camry and Tundra that are only assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, but NOT OK for domestic manufactures to take advantage of the same low cost parts and labor costs? The only reason Americans are loosing their jobs to foreign manufactures is the fact they buy those products. If American did not buy imports there would not be a market in the US for those products. ;)
mike

What low labor costs? How does it cost Toyota less to assemble a car in the US than it does GM? That's a question GM execs should be asking their analysts, and the UAW.
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Oh good, an argument that will never end. Are Toyota (and others like them) underpaid or are Detroit workers overpaid?

No the question is why is America not allowed to dump cars into Japan the way Japan dumps them in the US? Japan wont allow it and the US Gov obviously does not question the Japanese tactics, which makes it a double standard.

Can you prove for sure that they are dumping?
Timmy Thompson Private Eye wrote:

Dumping is defined as selling a product below it's actual cost. Since Toyota and Honda are making record profits it is hard to see how they are "dumping".
Chevrolet has made at least one attempt at selling cars into Japan in recent years. Are you surprised that few people there wanted a Cavalier instead of a Corolla or Civic?
John

Nope wrong again Mike, many "imports" are assembled here of mostly local parts.

The "imports" are not cheaper than the Big 2.5 cars, but more desirable.
How ridiculous it is that many "imports" have significant local content, whereas the Big 2.5 sell vehicles that are totally imported. Take those Korean cars GM sells and now they want to import from China. The worst enemy of the local car workers is the local car company miss management.
You're like a worn out record Mike, repeating the same half truths over and over.

Yeh its adouble standard I could never figure out...yet the US gov feels its ok.

Not because Ioccoca wanted to...he did it to survive. Wants he got on his feet he dumped them for chrysler engines. And the 2.2 chrysler was a great little engine. I ran mine up to 182k miles before rebuilding it. And this was 1980 technology.

Site Timeline