Check this out before going to Jiffy Lube

From a recent Los Angeles TV station news segment:
http://www.nbc4.tv/video/9152183/detail.html

Everyone should see that. Amazing! Of course, it is not just Jiffy Lube, but a lot of other service stations. Find a good independent mechanic and treat him well.
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 02:19:43 +0000, John Horner wrote:

WOW!!!
I work on all my own cars and the only time they see a dealer/other mechanic is under warranty or maybe for a quickie oil change in the winter.
I have been doing this for 30 years plus.....
A friend of mine used to work at a dealership when we were in college, a major dealership, and they call it "sunning the car" IOW you bring your car in for preventive maintenance and they simply move your car from the spot you parked it in to another spot, rarely do the repairs but charge you for them all.
FWIW I had a guy at Jiffy Lube try and sell me a PCV valve because the one in my car had oil on it.
Duhhhhhhhhh......

This is the second video someone posted from this site that I tried to watch. They just don't work for me. WTF. Will not play.
Steve

It wouldn't load for me either. I deleted the end of the url- detail.html and IE6 replaced it with index.html. Then it loaded.
Jim
Still cant get it to work. Fill me in what its about.

Paying for service, but getting nothing done.

pretend there talking about taxpayer funded services..........!........paying for service, but getting nothing. very simular dont you think?............kjun
Steve Mackie wrote:

Strange, I just checked again and it worked fine. Maybe the site was having trouble previously, or maybe there are configuration, plugin or other issues. Unfortunately there are lots of compatibility problems showing up on the 'net these days.
John

control the net. Those days are fortunately in the past, but many changes are now due to making the net not specific to M$ software.
I did a search at the site and got to the follow up story here: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9265933/detail.html They have 3 videos here, but they don't play, due to file not found. I suspect the lawyers have arrived! I've Emailed the site on this problem. Interesting and sad story though.
I cant get it to work

btw: copied and paisted url into netscape and played fine for me. sorry you cant view it but its just the run of the mill ripoff EVERYBODY should be aware of because its happening every second of every day in a host of service fields.........kjun.

Nice tag on the Jeep: "C Karma"

Yeah fuck Jiffy Lube. I took my truck there 6 years ago for an oil change, and the neanderthal "technician" broke the electrical wire down to my starter. They pushed my '95 Toyota truck outside of the bay and into the parking area, came in and said: "we changed your oil, but now your truck won't start; it's nothing we did. Here's your keys." I said: "That's a Toyota with the 22R engine, it hasn't stranded me ONCE in 5 years, it always starts, and now you claim you did NOTHING to it!" He basically told me to fuck off. I had to push start the truck in the their parking lot by myself. It ran perfect as ever, so I took it back and demanded they fix it. They got a mechanic who works next door to come check it out. They had severed the wire to the starter. He fixed it in about 5 minutes. Goons.
-
I once had a JiffyLube change my engine coolant (similar method to the transmission fluid swap which can mess up transmissions). When the guy was reconnecting my radiator hoses, he spilled some of the antifreeze on the hot engine. I commented about it and he was going to wash it off with a hose. Any idiot knows you don't put water on hot metal parts of any kind. Roy

I got my oil changed at the dealership on a Friday evening....they screwed the filter on half-ass and when I talked to the GM of the dealership on Saturday (service was closed) to let him know I was bringing it in Monday he said no problem ... said not to worry things would be taken care of and any damage would be noted and covered by warranty....
Monday morning they gave me a rental...when I picked up my truck that evening the Service Guy ---Mr. Good Something or other started in on how it was lucky that I brought it to the dealership and in the future to stay away from the fast oil change chains....cause the dummies didn't even know how to twist a filter on.
I started laughing...and he asked what was so funny. I told him to check the computer....the only place I had ever had the oil changed was at the dealership and had it done every 3,000 miles. That it would show the last oil change was done on Friday three days ago....
He all of a sudden had to go out into the service bay and passed me on to someone else to finish up my paperwork. Didn't offer to cover the three quarts of oil or even a real 30 minute oil change instead the usual 1/2 day it always took, no matte what the sign said.
When I traded the truck off ... I started using the local 10 minute oil changers and that worked out fine until the knocked a vac line off because they were to lazy to from the bottom to change the filter...it popped a CEL and I checked the code and slipped the vac line back on and reset and all was well....I swung by about a week later and told the fellow at the counter about it...he started going No Way No Way and called the owner over....I explained to him it wasn't that big of a deal (to me) as I could pop the line back on and reset the CEL no problem....but if it had been someone that didn't know or want to and went to the dealer and paid the $80 just to get the thing reset he'd most likely have an upset customer. He agreed and actually thanked me and there never was a problem after that.
My point I guess is you can get screwed anywhere.....
Tex wrote:

Zat so? What happens when you splash through a puddle or drive in the rain? Kinda makes you wonder, don't it? You'd think that the idiots who build cars would warn us all to avoid water, or figure out a way to make the engine run without getting hot! And the thought of all that water-based coolant circulating through the hot metal engine parts and the metal radiator ... why, it fairly makes me sick to think about it!

I had a 1991 Lumina that I too to a WonderLube, when they got done they told me they greased the tie rods and ball joints. Funny thing is,, the factory ones are sealed. Went back to give them another chance about a year later (after I replaced the tie rods and ball joints) and was told they didn't grease anything because the factory parts are sealed. I told them to take a second look, because everything had grease fittings. Plus he was pushing for me to replace my air filter, even though the bright orange and white sticker for my K&N was pasted right on the cover. When I pulled out, there was a nice trail of oil from where they didn't check to see if the oil filter gasket came off with the filter, and then tried to charge me for the extra oil that they had to put in it!!