Chevrolet Impala

I currently have a 90 Buick LeSabre with 200K miles. I drive at least 110 miles a day. I am looking for a replacement. How will the Chevy Impala do? I am specifically interested in the car with a 3.4L engine. This engine is supposed to get better gas mileage than the 3.8L. Will the 3.4 hold up like the 3.8 in my buick? And will it actually get better gas mileage than the

3.8? Anyone with an opinion, tell me what you think. Thanks.
Reply to
Zane Warren

Stick with the 3.8. Mileage is just as good and it's typically more reliable. Most people can exceed 30MPG highway driving with the 3.8. Of course differing driving styles can make a significant difference in actual mileage from person to person.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Impala 3400 Fuel Rating 21city/32hwy. Impala 3800 Fuel Rating 20city/30hwy.

3400 - 180 Horsepower 200 Torque. 3800 - 200 Horsepower 225 Torque.

In 2004 it was $995 extra to add a 3800 to the base Impala. In the base model you can get lower priced cloth bench seat interior. ( Not offered in the LS ).

The Impala LS comes standard with a 3800 and bucket seats. A leather ( only ) bench seat is optional.

The 3800 might not be optional in the base model for 05. At least my new Consumers Guide doesn't say it is. The 04 CG indicates it is.

Will the new 3800 go 200,000 well that depends alot on the driver.

The 2006 Impala will see two new V6's and a 5.3V8 for the Impala SS.

Happy Buying.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,984 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

The older 3.4's have some problems with the design of the intake manifold gaskets causing leaks but the newer ones don't. I have a 3.4 and I get 36 mpg highway and 25 mpg city on a regular basis. You will get a mileage rating that reflects how you drive and driving conditions. One thing you have to consider is that the EPA ratings are calculated using tailpipe emissions, not actual driving, to do the calculations (I guess that's why hybrids don't live up to their EPA ratings).

Also, the 3.4 is a couple of tenths of a second quicker on the 0 - 60 acceleration test than the 3.4 but you'll never notice it (unless you're racing someone title for title).

Rich B

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 03:18:48 +0000, Zane Warren donned fireproof underwear and scratched on the wall:

Screw that - get yerself a REAL Impala - a '96 SS. :)

Reply to
Perfect Reign

I'd stay with the 3.8. We have hit 37mpg in the 3.4 but it still has the intake gasket problems.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

What year is your car?

The intake gasket problem wasn't properly addressed until somewhere into the 2003 model year.

The 2004 engines "should" be OK, assuming that the latest version of the gasket actually fixes the problem.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

A couple of tenths of a second quicker for the 3.8? More like a full second. I have seen road tests done where the 3.8 performed 0-60 in 7.7-8.0 seconds and the 3.4 has done it in 9.0-9.2 seconds. I have given a range since some magazine reviewers get better results than others. I know it is hard to believe with only 20hp and 20 ft/lbs of torque difference but the 3.8 must have a flatter torque curve and better gearing

3.05 for the 3.8 vs. 2.86 for the 3.4L.

Reply to
vince

ours is a 2001. But I've read many times how the problems were fixed for every year back to the mid 90's.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I'd argue that it's too soon to know for sure if the problems with the 3.4 are really fixed. We'll see in 2-3 (maybe more) years. Personally I wouldn't touch a 3.4 for a couple of more years.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Do you plan on keeping it for more than 2 years? If so then do a google search for GM 60 degree engine intake manifold leak.

Reply to
« Paul »

Thats exactly why I suggest staying away from them. We were told and i read in many places that the problems were fixed by 2001 and ours started leaking. Had to let the dealer do it since it was under warranty so we got a free scratch on the hood.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

If "all" of them develop leaks eventually, then why aren't all of them developing leaks? I know dozens of people that own GM's with the 3.4's and I have yet to speak to one who has had the problem. One guy that I spoke to noticed the sludge in his overflow tank and on the inside of the radiator neck and cap. He had the dealer flush the system, replaced the cap and after 33,000 additional miles, has had no more problems. I think that a lot of the problem comes from the owner neglecting the vehicle.

Rich B

False premise. GM wouldn't have redesigned the gaskets so often if there wasn't something to it. But you are right about one thing. Not *all* 3.4 engines develop the problem. Just a unusually high number of them do.

Reply to
James C. Reeves