Chevrolet Malibu sales jump 51.5%; dealers pleased

What's funny about that is it's typical politics. Since you have a hard-wired connection from anything GM to your knee-jerk mechanism, you can't respond otherwise. Doesn't matter that it looks like GM is actually restructuring, and could succeed in avoiding bankruptcy, and maybe even come roaring back. Your knees just continue to jerk. You should probably cut the wire. Another option if you are so sure would be to short GM stock. It's a sure thing, right?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:40:11 -0600, Vic Smith cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Higgins will piss himself and commit suicide if GM does pull through this.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"IF". Unlikely.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

The car looks good.

Reply to
ransley

Nor when the trunk opening is so small you have to fold your suitcases to fit them into the nice sized trunk.

Reply to
who

On my fathers 2000 Malibu you have to remove the exterior brake lamp assembly to change the bulb! And there's no drain hole for water to exit which means more burnt out bulbs in rainy season.

Reply to
Father Guido

I just had to change a brake light bulb on my wife's 1996 Camry. First time I had to change a rear bulb of any kind in 13 years! I was surprised to have to use a wrench rather than just a screwdriver, but it was still pretty easy to change.

I need to complain to Toyota that a bulb burned out after only 13 years. That's the first problem we've had with that vehicle.

Reply to
SMS

Yeah, the mid-90s Camry cars were pretty good. They had no guts but decent legroom. I have a buddy with a '95 model. Another buddy has an '05, which has no legroom whatsoever.

Reply to
PerfectReign

One would think that the replaceable bulb non-sealed headlight housing would mean changing a burnt-out bulb easy as pie. Not in this crazy world. I just replaced my son's bulb in his Nissan and it involved removing the headlight housing secured by 3 nuts that required undoing the fender liner. What a drag.

OTOH, people don't buy or not buy cars based on headlights. Or do they? :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Some 50% of the people buy based on the cup holder ;>)

Reply to
HLS

Well, there's a couple things that would be deal killers for me...

1) high beam DRLs (unfortunately, this excludes a LOT of GM cars) 2) headlights as simply awful as, say, those originally fitted to a US-market Corrado

Extra consideration would be given to vehicles with

1) "harmonized" ECE/DOT approved headlights 2) standard-sized sealed beams, which are easily replaced with E-codes

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Forgot to mention, an acceptable alternative would be a vehicle that might not be factory equipped with particularly good headlights but is sold in identical form in European markets, so decent headlights could be somewhat readily obtained (e.g. aforementioned VW Corrado...) was reminded of this as I do have a set of Corrado E-codes and a friend just offered to buy them

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That's the way many guys pick their women--- holder size...

Reply to
Gene Bleuler

Yeah, those are horrible, though mostly for other drivers!

In any case, I'd disconnect DRLs on any car I bought, there are just way too many issues with them.

Reply to
SMS

That's nutty as hell but cup holders probably has swayed a few folks to buy one car over another. I'm not picky at all and any car is just fine with me - just as long as they have spring loaded change compartments under the dash on the driver's side...

Reply to
dsi1

OK, so some folks will not buy a car based on headlights. I'm feeling kind of dumb now cause the only thing I understand is that you don't like daytime running lights. This is ok - just as long as you know what you know what you're talking about.

Reply to
dsi1

I recall when cup holders first started to appear and the Camry lacked them and the Accord had them, or vice-versa. It apparently _was_ the deciding factor between two vehicles, very similar in other regards.

Reply to
SMS

One has to wonder how many accidents have been caused because of the presence of cup holders. I don't recall having a bottle of water or coffee in the car all that often 20 years ago.

Reply to
mikewestvale

I used to commute at night on a completely unlit 2-lane road; the benefit of good headlights was immediately apparent. Fortunately my daily back then was a Porsche 944 so replacing the old non-halogen sealed beams with Cibie H4s was easy.

My objection to the high beam DRLs is based on having to share the road with vehicles so equipped. It's painful to have one coming at you when it's overcast or near sundown, unless the driver has manually turned his low beam headlights on. Old saturns are especially awful.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I must like to live dangerously; I've logged lots of miles in various German cars with a cup of coffee jammed between my legs.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel