Chevrolet moves into the '80's..

Why are you watching Glenn Beck? From what I've witnessed of him while waiting in the bank line, Beck offers no information, no intelligence, and no entertainment. He's just another third-rate cable news talking head.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

GM seems like a corporate structure that is akin to an aircraft carrier trying to make a U-turn. It takes lots of time and lots of space to do so. The company has lost money in each of the last four years, and says now that it "may" think about importing some of their German small cars into the US ........in 2010 ! This is the sort of brainpower that has gotten them in the fix they're in.

Reply to
mack

"Variable valve" was the phrase touted. GM advancing into the '80s. Great job Rick and the Board.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

GM needs to make a good in line six, like they did in the 70's and 80's. They got great gas mileage,pulled good and were very dependable. Imagine one with fuel injection and an electronic ignition. But without variable valves and other complicated things would GM dealer service centers go out of business? Sooner or later they will need repairs.

Reply to
Chevy Man

Glenn Beck has been advertising Chevrolet and their 'innovations' for a few months now, beginning with the Malibu commercial touting their Variable Valve technology, and today reporting on their dual stage AC system, that has an economy mode.

Hmmm...I had a variable induction system on an '85 Corolla GTS and Economy mode AC on an '83 Tercel wagon.

Glad to see GM is making such strides!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hach loves Beck because he's the news equivalent of being fed apple sauce by one's mommy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Which you've somehow confused with Variable Valve Timing.

Which you've somehow confused with Dual Stage AC.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Apparently, I touched on an inconvenient truth. hahahahaha!!!!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hmmm....Pour piss out of boot! Poor fool!

Reply to
Retired VIP

I always said, if GM wants to make money and return to true viability as a world car maker, dust off the blueprints for the 1964 Chevy II Nova, with the straight six. What a car that was! We sold it with ~220,000 miles on it, the body was SOLID and it went across the country twice and back before I lost track of it.

Yeah, a modern straight six based on that engine would be amazing.

Reply to
Hachiroku

REF: Cadillac Catera

Reply to
Hachiroku

I listen to him on the radio.

And I listen to him because he points up stupidity on both sides of the aisle.

And there's plenty.

Reply to
Hachiroku

STFU fool.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes, I know. My Corolla had Variable Induction in 1985. Variable valve came on Toyotas in the early 90's.

Great job, Fujio Cho and Toyota engineers...

Reply to
Hachiroku

He seems to contribute to it. People of his low caliber, regardless of their politics, shouldn't have an audience, especially because there are so many better commentators out there.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

No, you're a fool.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't wanna bash GM, and really hope it avoids bankruptcy. My dad only ever owned GM products.

I've been happy with the 2 'yotas I've owned and probably will stick with Toyota for the rest of my life, but I hope GM survives too. The more competition, the better, of course. Companies strive to out-do each other.

I agree with Hachi that GM occasionally makes some really good cars. My mom and dad still own an Oldsmobile Delta Eighty-Eight with 95,000 miles on it. I think it's the 1987 model, but it still drives *really fine* today. Whenever I visit St. Louis, I love to take her out for a spin. I'm amazed at how really fine that car drives. I love it.

Any other Delta Eight-Eight stories?

Reply to
Built_Well

===============================

All those cars sound like fine mahines. I'll have to keep my eye out for the LHS.

I was surprised to learn that the 1987 Buick Grand National was the fastest production car in the U.S. that year. At zero to 60 in 5.5 seconds, it bested the Corvette.

But I don't know why I'm talking about time trials. I don't think I've ever pushed the Camry passed 3,100 rpm.

By the way, there are two Honda Preludes parked in the parking garage here. They're a 1999 and a 2001. Both sport the letters DOHC and VTEC on the back body panel. Those features must have been something big just a few short years ago.

Reply to
Built_Well

It's code for the Ricers. Although the doohickey has been around for years, VTEC indicates a high-performance engine that in some cases is factory tuned for ~200HP!! IIRC a Civic Si VTEC is 198HP, which pushes 33 more horsepower than my tC out of a smaller engine. It's a real rip-snorter.

I would have gotten an Si VTEC for ~$2,500 more than my Scion, but I would have had to waited at least three months.

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, but I can throw you some Le Sabre and Park Ave stories, as well as some Bonnevilles and Grand Prix. I think the Le Sabre/Park Ave has a lot to owe to it's 3800 V6 engine for it's success. I almost bought one back in '03 when we had one on the lot, it was Supercharged to boot, and was a one-owner/old man car that got serviced every service interval. The only thing that stopped me was that someone gave me an AWD Tercel that I spent my time and effort on, and then I got the LHS from the same person, free.

BTW, I'm *STILL* kicking myself for trading that LHS for only $600!

The ONLY thing that kept me from actually buying a Le Sabre (and I did look at some in the late 80's) was the switches in the interior feel so damn CHEAP!!! Evry switch inside the car feels like it will break if you breathe on it too hard.

Reply to
Hachiroku