Chevrolet spiral wound brake lines

Does anybody know what the purpose of the spiral wire wound brake lines is on GM cars and trucks? The only reference I can find calls it "coiled armor
shielding". Maybe so the steel line doesn't get a hole worn into it by chafing on something?
To prevent damage from below frame obstacles that could rupture the line.

SRN wrote:

It is designed to do a couple items. One is to protect the lines from dock and such from damaging the lines. Another is that the coiling helps with the machine bending process as well. It acts like the spring style tubing benders when the machines bend the line.
The only real problem is that it also holds crap between the coils and can cause rot.
I prefer stainless lines myself, but they are NOT easy to work with.
--
Steve W.

Gee Steve, we don't do any brake and gas line rust repairs here in upstate NY, do we?

Shep wrote:

I wish...
I just love how some of these companies route them as well.
--
Steve W.

It would be great to get a simple car that does not rust. Would be easy to repair and lasts for a long time. Can get you anywhere you want to go.
In general we need to get a willys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB