Chevy 350 rebuild

I am about to get into a rebuild of a street/strip motor. I am hoping to pull 350 horses. I will be doing this low budget. I have scoured for parts and scored 882 big valve heads that I intend to polish the exhaust sides. I also have a GM aluminum intake from an early 80's Camaro, and a rebuilt (but questionable application) Q-jet carb. Application: 1979 Olds Cutlass

I plan to stay with a stock torque converter

Question one: Camshaft; best bang for the buck? Which grind (lift/duration) would give me a pretty good jump on the line but not bust me a the gas pump

two: rear end ratio? I know the stock one is a "highway gear" with no get up and go.

tranny: entire rebuild or shift kit?

Any and all inputs would be appreciated. I know there are hundreds of combinations and everyone has thier own particular way of putting things together. I do not wish to start a verbal battle here as to who's setup is better. I plan on taking all info and doing more homework anyway.

Thanks in advance

John

Reply to
eightupman

Call Comp Cams. Bite the bullet on this factor, and get them to do the homework for you. Tell them the info on the engine.

Highway gears are usually 1:2.73. You may want as high as 3.73, perhaps with a limited slip differential. EBay usually has a few kicking around.

If you try different gears, you may want to get the speedo gear changed as well.

Depends on the shape of the tranny.

Vuarra

Vuarra