Chevy 350 rebuild

I am about to get into a rebuild of a street/strip motor. I am hoping to pull 350 horses. I will be doing this low budget. I have scoured for parts
and scored 882 big valve heads that I intend to polish the exhaust sides. I also have a GM aluminum intake from an early 80's Camaro, and a rebuilt (but questionable application) Q-jet carb. Application: 1979 Olds Cutlass
I plan to stay with a stock torque converter
Question one: Camshaft; best bang for the buck? Which grind (lift/duration) would give me a pretty good jump on the line but not bust me a the gas pump
two: rear end ratio? I know the stock one is a "highway gear" with no get up and go.
tranny: entire rebuild or shift kit?
Any and all inputs would be appreciated. I know there are hundreds of combinations and everyone has thier own particular way of putting things together. I do not wish to start a verbal battle here as to who's setup is better. I plan on taking all info and doing more homework anyway.
Thanks in advance
John
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:05:27 GMT, "eightupman"

Call Comp Cams. Bite the bullet on this factor, and get them to do the homework for you. Tell them the info on the engine.

Highway gears are usually 1:2.73. You may want as high as 3.73, perhaps with a limited slip differential. EBay usually has a few kicking around.
If you try different gears, you may want to get the speedo gear changed as well.

Depends on the shape of the tranny.

Vuarra