CHEVY

Page 1 of 2
Whatever happened to Chevy ?
When I was a teen/young man, you bought a CHEVY ! A CHEVY was the pride in many a suburban driveway. People waited outside the dealers to see the new year models.
The, it's like in the early 80's GM abandoned the badge. You could shop Chevelles, or Luminas or Cavaliers.... But the family-sized CHEVROLET was relegated to the back burner.
Go to your Chevy dealer... you may find a dusty, overpriced Chevrolet somewhere in back. Better yet,,, try to picture this model years Chevrolet....
Another marketing decision by GM.

The Caprice was around until the mid-90's. I never wanted one since my '76. 18 mpg highway doesn't cut it. Their market for them was taxis and law. The Celebrity 6-cyl was roomier and got better gas milage than the Accord or Camry of the time. I drove my '88 all over the country with 6 aboard and got 29 highway. Three of the kids were light weights. Put 190k basically trouble-free miles on it before it rotted. They killed the Celebrity, of course. Think it was their last car to ever hold the sales title. I would buy that car new right now if it was available. You want a big Chevy now, you can get an Impala. The bad marketing decisions that GM made was in not keeping and improving model lines. Ala Accord/Civic/Camry/Corolla. No tradition now. The Japs have that. My daily drivers are a '97 Lumina - dead model now, and a '90 Corsica - dead model now. That's the problem with GM - can't stick to a model and continue to improve it - and stand behind it. The only reason I can think of is their brains are pea-size. Since I buy used only, that's been good for me. Always get a decent car real cheap.
--Vic

I once rented a Celebrity while my LeSabre was being repaired, and totally agree wit your assesment of it. Fine car.

My Mom bought a brand new Celebrity (26 miles on the odometer) in 1986. At 8 months of ownership, and several trips to the dealer where they found nothing wrong, it needed new front tires. It would severely pull to the right when the brakes were applied, but the dealer said it was normal, no problem. When I found out about it I took it to a reputable repair shop where they found the right callipers were almost gone, due to dragging. And the front end was radically out of alignment. They repaired it, put new front tires on it and it drove great. I took the bills to the dealer who said since they didnt do the work, and since nothing was wrong with the car to begin with, tough luck. At two years of age, the silver paint started peeling off in sheets. Once again the dealer said it was out of warranty, tough luck. When I went up there and raised a stink, armed with all the information I could gather from the internet, the dealer finally agreed to repaint it, but my Mom had to pay half. At three years, sitting at a stop light, the head bolts broke (overtorqued at the factory) and left a 70 year old women stranded in a pool of antifreeze. The dealer repaired that for free, but Mom had to pay the towing bill, even tho it was towed by the dealer. And from day one, the Celebrity had a fuel guage that could only be accurately read from the middle of the back seat. It was located in the middle of the dash. At year four, it would shift into overdrive at 25 miles per hour, then buck and chug along untill you made it up shift by applying more gasoline, then it would shift into 2nd. It made driving in the city an unplesant experience, to say the least. Once again, the dealer said the only way to fix it was rebuild the transmission, but they did offer to disconnect some electrical connectors, and eliminate overdrive completely. Keep in mind this car was driven by a senior citizen, well taken care of, with regular maintenance. Chevrolet, its engineers and its dealers, have been their own worse enemies for quite some time now.

You had access to the internet in 1988? Pretty cool!
What was your monthly bill, and how fast was your connection?
j/k
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52

What a stupid question, I've had Internet access since 82, though I'll admit the first half was through dial up.
--
Clive

writes

And I'm sure the internet was full of Chevy Celebrity info back in the 80's, right Clive? Is it comfortable with your head all the way up your ass?
On Tue, 26 May 2009 22:13:18 -0400, "80 Knight"

Maybe we should cut Clive some slack. There very well could have been a few Chevy Celebrity haters running BBS's back in 82 that he thought were the "internet." :)
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52

When I first went online, it was for e-mail only, it was later I got into newsgroups, normally the ones with uk. at the start of the header. I'm quite happy to admit to being an idiot with a computer and whilst I've heard of "Twitter?" on the news, I've no idea what it is, how to access it, or any interest in it. Feel free to look down on me, I don't mind, at least I don't hide behind a mask like a lot of posters do.
--
Clive

If you think you had internet access at your home in 1982, then I doubt you know what the internet is.
I suppose you'll claim you were browsing graphical web pages via http on the www back then as well.
You might have dialed into a university to access usenet, ftp or similar technology, but that's not what is commonly referred to as the "internet" these days (and it's certainly not considered having internet access at one's personal residence.)
Were you running a prototype Pentium II at home back in 1982 as well?.
I was simply joking with the first guy since I could see someone's memory mixing up "doing research" with "getting info on the internet."
However, you either have no clue about what you're claiming, or you're being extremely disingenuous.
Then again, you may think you've got Internet III access right now via IPv12 on a 100THz, 256 core processor, and your connection speed is 120Tbps.
If the kid at the computer store told you that's what you have, it must be so. Enjoy your uber setup.
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52

Wasn't the WWW, invented by Tim Lee or someone at CERN? I don't claim to have absolute knowledge, but I do know what the Internet is made of. If you think it's just a lot of fancy terminals then you've a lot of catching up to do just to get to my backward stage.
--
Clive

Everyone knows the internet is simply a series of tubes.
Can we please end this silly p|ssing contest now so the group can get back to discussing GM issues?
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52

You're entitled to believe what you want. Get back to GM, I don't mind.
--
Clive

writes

If you think he didn't then I doubt you know what the internet is. I had internet access from home around that same period of time - somewhere in the '83-'84 range. You're not confusing the internet with the WWW, are you?
To keep this on topic - I was driving GM cars at that time. One brief excursion into Ford land, with the purchase of a Mercury Marquis, but then directly back to GM land.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Not at all.
I only have one simple question for you:
Who was your ISP for your internet access?
Oh, I bet I remember now... Lemme guess, you guys had Compuserve or something similar along those lines?
I spent some time on Compuserve around 92 or so, and, even at that later date, I'd hardly call that the internet.
If that's it, then we'll just have to agree to disagree that you had home internet access. I'd have to classify that more as a private, closed network that members dialed into, much like the early AOL. Although I will agree that it was, in many ways, analogous to the internet, and I can see how huge fans of a service like CIS or early AOL would classify it as the internet.
I wouldn't, but I'm no internet historian.
For me, I guess, the bottom line would be whether or not they were allowed to run their private network traffic on the internet backbone lines. If they were, then I guess, technically, one could say it was "the internet." IMHO, it's more like piggy backing on the internet lines.

Variety is the spice of life. Autos should be no exception. Good for you for exploring the different manufacturer's offerings.
And thanks for technically keeping us on topic! :)
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52

ISP's as we know them today did not exist at that time. You don't seem to understand the origins of the internet.

You should not make assumptions like that - they do not reflect well on you. In fact, most of us back then either had direct access through universities or through our employers. No ISP or BBS service required. Lemme guess - you read about the origins of the internet in Al Gore's book didn't you?

That's a shame. I never used Compuserve. And I had internet access almost 10 years before you. But you go right ahead and tell those of us who cut our eye teeth on the net, just exactly what we were really doing...

You can call it anything you want but the fact of the matter is that those services did indeed provide internet access. You must not understand the internet at all.

You do not understand the internet at all. That explains your position.

Yeah - but it was a very painful experience. I think that car was the one I was most happy to get out from under. Never did go back to a Ford product after that.

My little contribution to a great big wide world. Sometimes the little things are all I can muster...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On Wed, 27 May 2009 11:36:20 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

That was exactly my point.

You don't seem to understand a simple conversation.

Again, my point exactly. I believe I mentioned about dialing into a university in one of my previous posts. Heck, I was doing that from late 84 onward. Try to read more thoroughly.

Not that it matters one iota to this discussion, but I tend to avoid any and all things Al Gore.

What's with the intense competition? Can't have a simple discussion without trying to prove your superiority?
The people who cut their eye teeth on the internet were the ARPA and DARPA employees and researchers who created the dang thing back in the early 60's or so. (I think the case could be made for late 50's as well, but that may not agree 100% with your (absolutely correct) view, so I'll leave that out so you can't berate me for mentioning it.
Perhaps the internet enabled you to sell more industrial paint in the early 80's or whatever it is you've done. However, I'm certain you're not one of the internet pioneers.

You'd sure like to believe that, but you'd wrong. Unlike you, I will happily admit, though, that I am no expert. (And I don't feel like less of a man as a result. Novel concept for you, I know)

Well, no need to talk to me further then, I guess. You probably need to dust all those framed PhD's you have, anyway.
Jeez, what's next? You wanna start discussing proper TCP or UDP packet formats?

I never started, and I don't intend on it. I've learned from friends who owned Fords.

Same here. Glad to see you've calmed down.
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52

Then you have a very weak point. ISP's have nothing to do with whether or not anyone had internet access in the mid-80's.

You seem to imply that the OP could not have been on the net in '82 as he claimed, and threw a bunch of questions his way that make it appear that you don't understand the workings of the internet. Who he had as an access point, whether he used Compuserve, or anyone else, is irrelevent to whether he had net access. How do your questions to this poster sum up to a simple conversation? It seems you were trying quite hard to prove that the OP did not have net access as he had stated. The problem is your arguments did nothing to cast doubt on his claim.

Comments like this one above do little to support your position of a simple conversation.

I saw that but you did not limit yourself to that comment. Regardless, if he dialed into a university system, or his employer's system, or used Compuserve, he still had internet access. My point, exactly.

I knew that despite this slight amount of friction, there was something I really liked about you...

Not intense competition. I was responding to your original position that questioned the claim of the OP that he had been on the net since '82. Not trying to prove superiority either. Don't read that into what I write. Do I sometimes get a little intense? Well, maybe a little. Not in a spirit of competition or superiority though. I don't want that to come through - it's not part of the picture.

Not in the sense of ARPA-net or DARPA at their origins, but certainly as a member of the academic and business community that were the early citizens of the internet. Didn't sell industrial paint either. Assumptions like that have really not served you well to this point, so I can't figure out why you continue to resort to them. They continue to fail you. I was part of the commercial sector that manufactured and sold computer hardware and software, and were on the backbone. I have installed systems that were primary nodes on the early internet, and have worked for companies that were in their own time, primary contributors to the growth and development of the internet. Sorry if that does not fit your industrial paint notion.

Not at all. In fact it is only your bravado that I challenged. Maybe you should go back and read the way you presented yourself in this thread. It may not appear the same after you read it, as it seems in your mind at this time.

So - you make a foolish statement in public as part of an effort to denigrate another individual, you are called to task for that very statement, and it somehow becomes a matter for you to turn the table on me? Sorry - but you opened this can of worms. You made a patently false statement and you were challenged. Your response is an ad-hominem.

Not unless you make a silly statement about them. You are the one who started talking like Mr. Internet - and demonstrated that you don't really understand it.

No calming down Rick. Not to disappoint you but I don't get all sweaty and frustrated over newsgroup posts. I'll reply in near-like manner to people, and I'm happy to keep a bit of less intense, more light-hearted stuff alive in there as well. The stuff that goes on in a newsgroup is just not so important to me as to upset me.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

I had a TRS80 with the Zilog Z80 chip in those days. No disk drive of any type, it used a cassette. If there existed internet in those days, I didnt know of it.

Ah, the "Trash-80" No offense intended, I just know that those machines acquired that nickname (in an admiring sort of way) by their very loyal fan base.
I personally never had one. My bro did, though.
And the Z-80. What a wonderful little chip that was! That thing seemed to be in just about everything back in the day!
And those cassette setups made floppies look like a godsend (when they finally arrived).
I know the Z-80 has been successfully emulated in SW for some time now. I bet someone has a TRS-80 SW emulator out there if you're interested. Might be a nice blast from the past.