Chevy Cavalier oil overfull

I own 98 model w/2.2L engine (purchased new) which is consistently overfilled at each oil/filter change. Over the years I've had it serviced at various dealer's and independents. The dealer claims it's not a problem but can anyone shed light on this subject? Thanks,

Reply to
Shamus

Sure! The people changing your oil are idiots, and can't seem to figure out where full is on the dipstick.

Next time your dealer says overfull is ok, get it writing. So when the engine starts leaking oil from every orifice (sp) you can make them replace the gaskets. Unless I am severely mistaken, that engine should take NO MORE than 4.25 quarts of oil with a new filter.

Reply to
clevere

Reply to
Mike Levy

Don't have a Cavalier, but possibly the quantity is listed in liters, and a liter is a little less than a quart. I have a Toyota, and have noticed that if I fill it exactly to the full mark, one of my oil "cans" isn't empty. Jim

Reply to
Jim Hill

Used to change oil for a living :) depending on the motor, I will put fill the crankcase, looking at the oil check stick so that it reads just below the full mark. Then I start the engine, let it run for a bit (to check for leaks), turn off engine, wait 5 minutes, check oil, and fill again to the full mark ... but that's me.

Most GM trucks take 5 quarts, depending on the motor. The big blocks (454 etc) tend to take more, as do more diesel (sp) engines ... But it's been awhile, so I could be wrong.

Reply to
clevere

Thank you all for your replies. My Chevy was assembled in Ohio and the operator manual shows crankcase as containing 4.0 quarts. Dealer said 4.75 quarts with filter replacement. Dipstick shows level to be above maximum (last hole in dipstick) about ½" to ¾" in the morning. Dealer said he believes 5 quarts are being used which means overfull equals about ¼ quart, which should do no harm. At 40,000 miles (5 ½ years) only "visible" leak is valve cover gasket and oil level does not drop much during change intervals, 3 to 5k miles.

I agree with you clevere, your procedure is correct and use to be the way it was done but it appears that's not true today? The few times I've watched the operation, I have "never" seen any oil removed. Shamus

Reply to
Shamus