Chevy Cavalier oil overfull

I own 98 model w/2.2L engine (purchased new) which is consistently overfilled at each oil/filter change. Over the years I've had it serviced at various dealer's and independents. The dealer claims it's
not a problem but can anyone shed light on this subject? Thanks,
--
Shamus
Stomp on me

My truck is routinely filled to 5 qts, doesn't burn or leak a drop, with Mobil One, 113,000 miles on the truck. 94 4.3L Jimmy. Place that does the changes says it should be 4.8 qts, my Haynes says 4.5, the level is always just a little bit, maybe less than 1/4 inch, over the full area...

Used to change oil for a living :) depending on the motor, I will put fill the crankcase, looking at the oil check stick so that it reads just below the full mark. Then I start the engine, let it run for a bit (to check for leaks), turn off engine, wait 5 minutes, check oil, and fill again to the full mark ... but that's me.
Most GM trucks take 5 quarts, depending on the motor. The big blocks (454 etc) tend to take more, as do more diesel (sp) engines ... But it's been awhile, so I could be wrong.

Don't have a Cavalier, but possibly the quantity is listed in liters, and a liter is a little less than a quart. I have a Toyota, and have noticed that if I fill it exactly to the full mark, one of my oil "cans" isn't empty. Jim

Thank you all for your replies. My Chevy was assembled in Ohio and the operator manual shows crankcase as containing 4.0 quarts. Dealer said 4.75 quarts with filter replacement. Dipstick shows level to be above maximum (last hole in dipstick) about " to " in the morning. Dealer said he believes 5 quarts are being used which means overfull equals about quart, which should do no harm. At 40,000 miles (5 years) only "visible" leak is valve cover gasket and oil level does not drop much during change intervals, 3 to 5k miles.
I agree with you clevere, your procedure is correct and use to be the way it was done but it appears that's not true today? The few times I've watched the operation, I have "never" seen any oil removed. Shamus