Chevy Cobalt ?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone here have any first-hand experience with the Chevy Cobalt ?
Our BUICK is getting a bit "long in the tooth", and I may be looking for a smaller replacement this summer.
Probably a used 2007 model, either Cobalt or Focus.
Any pros ? cons ?
<rj>

I looked at them when I was making my last car buy. I thought they were a bit high priced for what you got. and did not pursue it any further.

You may want to look at the Saturn Ions too. There are leftovers.

These things were so highly touted that a Speed Channel group chose it for a project car, calling it a "wonderful platform" or suchlike.
I have bought into "wonderful platforms" before, usually to be disappointed, but am curious about this one. I may have to buy another car soon, to replace either of a couple of aging "projects". Havent found anything the least bit interesting yet.
I bought a 2006 last year in 2007 because of a great deal to replace my aging Cavalier. The only thing I don't like it seems a lot of accessories that were standard on the Cav were additional on the Cobalt. I got a loaded Cobalt and found out it didn't have traction control although it did have ABS. If you decide to look for one write down all the features you want and check for them on the cars you are looking at. I do like the Cobalt. One feature that takes a little getting use to is the variable electric power steering. It has more boost at slow speeds than at highway speeds. Being tall it also has more driver leg room than any other car I have seen.

I purchased one of the 07 models last November. The LT sedan with 148 hp 2.2l engine and so called four-speed electronically controlled transmission with overdrive. My grandson needed a car (that's another story) so I give him my 98 cavalier (with 40k miles) and purchased what I thought was an updated Cavalier.
I believe the 08's are identical however as I understand it some models have been dropped and feature's revived.
The electrical steering is OK and it has reasonable pick up and ride. It may have two doors but it is in reality a very small car internally. Your 8-year-old might fit in the back seat but certainly not an adult. I'm 5'-10" and must push the seat fully back which nearly touches the rear seat. Engine noise it a bit loud and the heater/air conditioner blower when on high speeds drown out the radio. Radio operation is for the young. If you like complicated non- intuitive functions you'll love it. The emergency brake lever is a joke as it's under the ridiculously small armrest, which must be in the up position to reach the lever. Glove box? Yep, you're correct, too small and the catch often hangs up preventing closing. The rear trunk size as viewed from the outside looks big but is very small internally and very awkward to reach into. When backing out of a parking space rear visibility is poor. And it's a gas hog; I'm getting about 20 MPG City!
Just my opinion but I can not recommend the car. Check it out closely and drive one for a couple of days if you can arrange it. The Cavalier was a better car and roomier with more head, leg, back seat and trunk space.
BTW my grandson has offered to trade me his Cavalier for my Cobalt!

I wonder if this is the same (Ecotech?) engine that GM has used for a few years now in some of its other vehicles? I dont think GM really make the Cobalt, but the engine could still be the same. (The other 4 cylinder I am referring to also has pitiful gas mileage.)
<snip>

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt & engine, Automatic 4-spd, DOHC ECOTEC engine 2.2L, 16 Valves, 148 HP at 5600 RPM Regular Gasoline Fuel Type/System Gas Engine/Sequential Electronic Fuel Injected Final Drive Ratio 3.63 Fuel Capacity 13.0 148-hp 2.2L
Ecotec The Ecotec name was adopted in 2000 for the new generation of Family II engines. The name was already used for the Opel Family 1 and Family 0 ranges. GM intends this new Ecotec to become its global 4-cylinder.
The Ecotec Family II is a modern chain-driven DOHC 4-valve design with an aluminum block and head (L850 for 86mm bore applications, and L880 for 88mm bore), designed for displacements from 1.8 to 2.4 L. It was developed by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Trollhttan, Sweden. Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom. The engine uses aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinder liners. Vibration is reduced with twin balance shafts.
The current Ecotec line is manufactured in Tonawanda, New York, Kaiserslautern, Germany, and (for Saturn) in Spring Hill, Tennessee.
The 2.2 L Ecotec is used in the following cars: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 145 hp (108 kW) @ 5600 rpm 155 ftlbf (210 Nm) @ 4000 rpm
2007-present Chevrolet Cobalt 148 hp (110 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 ftlbf (206 Nm) @ 4200 rpm

For about the same money, you can get a full sized sedan with more features. After looking at a Cobalt, I bought a Hyundai Sonata (built in the USA) with more performance, better mileage, and a bunch more room. Easier to get in and out of too!
I hope GM can once again offer value in a modest priced car, but the Cobalt is not the answer, IMO.
wrote in message

Take a look at the Malibu.

That may be a better answer. The Hartford Courant this morning had a review about it. The driver gave it good marks for performance and said it had plenty of room for him. You can get it loaded with a lot of features.
I've not looked close up yet, but from a distance on the street the styling is pretty good too. May be worth a drive next time I'm in the market.
wrote in message

I haven't driven one yet either, but IMHO, it's a nice looking car, and even though I don't pay too too much attention to reviews, I have not seen any bad reviews of the car at all.
<RJ> wrote:

2008 COBALT: I rent a lot of vehicles and just turned in a 08 Cobalt today. I only put on 700 miles this time. 10474 miles Loaded, red, alloy wheels. Ecotec power was ok. 0-60 in 11.5 seconds average 3 runs. Sunroof - I don't like sunroofs - Especially in Texas, but it did work ok. Noisy when open. Seating was comfortable. No power seats but levers for up/down and fore/back. The head rests are really, really terrible. I took mine out and turned it around.     If i had one I would take the torch to the head rests and bend the steel rods. I could hang my arm out the window but I had to take off the window lock knob. Exterior lighting was barely ok. Typical GM. Road noise bearable but still had to use ear plugs most of the time.     However, the road noise was less than the other 6 cars I drove in the last two months. Dash is spartan - Only 3 gauges: a large worthless tach, a 140 mph speedo (who is going to go 140?), and a gas gauge. At night they are pretty though. And you can see them during the day. On the wheel was radio controls. Never did use them. The radio dial was visible during daylight - Very unusual for a GM!!! Also on the wheel was cruise control - it turned off by itself twice. And the info button on the wheel - That was nice. The trunk is really big but the opening is really small - so, no suitcases in the trunk, they have to go in the back seat. Head room was good but the roof comes down too far on the sides - the upper door sills are too low. Good thing there is a lot of rubber there. I hit my head pretty hard on the 3 entry. Front seat room was good. Back seat room is non-existent - don't even think of putting anyone back there that is more than 2 feet tall. This one had some sort of premium sound system with a big speaker on the left side of the trunk - Finally! A GM car with a decent sound system and it had XM radio !!! Visibility ok. The battery is in the trunk. Would I buy one??? Maybe, I did like it. In 2007 I rented two 07 models. I liked the 08 a little better. I may have to rent one again.

dealing with the cobalt daily (rental fleet) i find them ill fitting (uncomfortable) and not much of an replacement for the cav. IF they would have used the same electronic steering column as the malibu (tilt and telescopic) i would probably have a better comfort revue............as far as the ecotec engine package, all thumbs up! i have had to build a few but not from wear. simply user abuse................

I believe Ian told me earlier that they were pretty good little engines.
Mileage of 17-20 on an engine that size is pretty poor, however.
Mileage is probably more driver than car. I get 25-28 on mine in all local driving. A lot of 2 mile trips to the park. On the highway I get 30+. I find very little difference in interior room and comfort from the 96 cavalier I had. Being 6'2 I find it has more driver leg room than any car I have driven. This cuts down on rear leg room drastically but you can't have both in a small car. I have a four door and it works fine with my 3 and 5 year old grandkids in the back.
wrote in message

My 98 Cavalier was driven under basically the same conditions as my 07 cobalt. Many short trips locally in suburban traffic. The Cavalier averaged 25 MPG the Cobalt presently gets 20. I fall into the category of that slow country bumpkin type of driver, having received my first driver's license 58 years ago I no longer peal rubber when the light turns green! The legroom in the back seat of the Cavalier did accommodate adults but not in the Cobalt. I have the sedan (4 door) and I agree that my grandkids can fit in the back seat but it really gets tight for them when I'm the driver and not my wife. I believe this is due the greater up front legroom and deeper trunk on the Cobalt all taking up legroom space from the rear seat passengers. My wife tells me that in the Cobalt she has to move the driver's seat up closer in order to reach the pedals. She sat further back and had more room between herself and the steering wheel in the Cavalier.
wrote in message

I believe that this is the engine my father in law has in his little pickup. No matter how you drive it, it gets no better than 17-18 mpg, and is a gutless little devil.
Maybe tranny selection that causes this, but my Dodge 318 van has many times the power, and gets the same mileage.
wrote in message

I have a Saturn ION 2 which, I believe, is similar to the Cobalt. Same engine, 2,2L ? Yeah, hard on gas in city driving in the winter. I was expecting that but bought the car regardless because here in Canada, the price is affordable and I was offered 0% financing for 72 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Big Three have tough times ahead of them because a lot of people are on fixed income, like me and the price of fuel is increasing rapidly because of the demand in India and China. Many companies move their shops to China to save on wages but it has a big social cost we are losing jobs in North America. We are starting to feel the effects, IMHO.
<RJ> wrote:

I forgot to list my Cobalt rental car mileage: Looking back at my records: The range is 26 to 33 with the average being 28 mpg.